In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Recoil Springs

formerlywrongformerlywrong Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
MidwayUSA lists various recoil springs for 1911. And, as I always heard of them referred to by some pound rating before, can the question of what is meant be clarified?

Springs for compression use have a free length, and a rating, perhaps in lbs./inch, the force needed to compress the length 1 inch.

Now, by calling out a "16 lb." recoil spring, are we talking about the FORCE on the spring at the length it is when compressed within the gun, waiting for action? Or, is it the RATE of the spring, 16 lb./inch; If it's rate, then ALL springs made for 1911 had better be of the same "free" length, or the rating becomes rather meaningless.

What's up with this rating??

Comments

• Options
    formerlywrongformerlywrong Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a source (Chart, book, reference guide, internet etc.) that will allow me to decifer the spring rates (lbs) of the various recoil springs available once they are no longer in the original package, IE, mixed up. I'm thinking maybe # of coils, relaxed length or some other method.
    Maybe just a rule of thumb to get close?
    I have a bunch of springs, all new in a package, not sorted or identified, just in a package. Thanks

Edit
    PS the links are not breaking, Karl , they are getting all hammered up and the holes are getting egg shaped.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Hi, Givette here. I can't answer your question.

.....so, why in the hell are you bothering to post a reply to my question at all, you ask?

Well, it sounds like you need/want a spring. Contated Midway....etc.

Assuming that's your reason for posting, do a search (upper right on this page) under "recoil springs".

You might not get the technical answer you seek, but you'll surely be able to figure out the correct spring that you need. And then some. For your particular bullet weight, etc.

I just glanced through the postings. And, yes, it addresses spring weight formulae. It gave me an education. Best, Joe
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The different ratings are for different ammo. If you shoot nothing but low recoil target ammo you use a lower rating spring. If you used the same rate spring for full power defence ammo it would batter the frame and the barrel lugs. if you use a heavy spring for the target ammo the slide wouldn't move enough to pick up the next round in the mag. You need to match the recoil spring to the load you are shooting. Go to 1911 forum.com for some good info.