In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 21

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am getting ready to have this trap grade 20ga. restored back to like new condition and I am at a standstill. I really like the beaver tail forearm, but, I also like to bring them back as close to original to match the cody letter. should I leave the splinter forearm on? Is the splinter forearm more rare with the single selective trigger in a trap grade? I will be hunting with this gun.

DSCF0067-3.jpg
DSCF0068-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    having problem with year it was mabe 22,61x also has an S and upside down p close to # other side has DU and a B right barrel is MOD. other is FULL Also has small JC on side with the DU if you need any more info tell me where to look and will gladly do if you are so willing with your time thanks PS I traded mod. 12 pre 64 ven rib for it best trade I ever made[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a M21 which may have been engraved by Nick Kusmit after he left the factory or on the side. I understand that he kept records of all he engraved and wonder if anyone out there might know where to obtain this information?
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi cartod: Well judging by the butt stock, with the checkered panel right behind the frame, that was a "special order" gun. Obviously with only being able to see the two pictures posted, I can't see the checkering pattern on the forearm, even though it may be an exact match, doesn't mean it's original.

That gun is in too good of condition to be restored!! I see no rust or pits in the photos. since you want it for hunting, the only thing I would do right now, is get rid of that recoil pad and put a correct period pad on it, or the reproduction solid red Winchester pad. then go enjoy it!!

Proper restoration of a Md 21 isn't cheap. Most likely in the neighbor hood of $2500-$5000. depending on if the hinge pin, (roll pin) needs replacing, "loose ribs", maybe getting some of the stampings recut (engraved)if required.

What you might do is contact Tony Galazan, and see if he can set you up with a second forearm assy. that way you have both to use and find out if the splinter or beavertail is the way to go for you. Also you may want to explore having Tony fit a second set of barrels to it. You spend the $$$$ to restore it will be too nice to go bust brush for quail and pheasants!! LOL As long as there is no active rust or pits starting, it's not ready for restoration, IMO

Regards Dave