In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions of Value

marsyemarsye Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I need to list a couple of black powders on GB but I can't find anything about them so I don't know what I should ask. Yes I'm a dumb female...but not blonde! [:D] One is a FIE .45 caliber flintlock with a 34" barrel and the other is a CVA .45 caliber percussion with a 33 1/2" barrel. Are these also called Kentucty? Can anyone tell me what they are worth?

Comments

• Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    while i know nothing about black powder guns, i can almost guarantee you anyone who responds after me is going to want to see pictures and more markings on the guns. So check them out, take some pictures if you can, and look for more markings on the rifles.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    Yes photos would be helpfull , but in reality , what you have is a pair of low-end white elaphants , most likely wall hanger classification ? this type of stuff is so slow (sales?) that we dont even like to take it in on trade here in the shop ??? usually will sell for apx. $50.00 each , if they look good (as wall hangers)...
    Sorry about that , but thats about it .
    Good Luck !
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok thanks....here is a couple of pics
    2003_0112Image0002.jpg
    2003_0112Image0001.jpg
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that I posted some pics.....still only about 50.00 each? [:I]
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. , yes nice looking , but good luck . Either list them on G.B. and or attend a gun show , always start high and hope for the best ...
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    The CVA was likely a homebuilt kit gun. And how well built can effect the value & shootability. I used to buy them cheap in pawnshops and rework them. An amazing number of people neglect to install the under barrel pin that runs thru the forestock. Then I'd do a little "fancy" carving around the lock area to spruce them up a bit.
    The above posts are correct as far as usual values. Even the modern CVA "bolt action" BP rifles only bring about $50. around here. But if put together properly and taken care of, the kit guns aren't bad shooters. IMO no reason to class them as "Wall Hangers" in that respect.