In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.38 spl. non +P continued

glockmattglockmatt Member Posts: 129 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
To answer timcats's question for a non +P. Corbon DPX 110 gr. is non +P, accurate, good expansion, all copper (no lead). Downside: may overpentrate and pricey.

Comments

• Options
    timcat5104timcat5104 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Glockmatt. Yeah, I was worried that overpenetration might result. I think I read over 12".
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The FBI used to use a Federal Nyclad hollow point. I bought a couple of boxes years ago when my wife carried a .38. They are a soft lead hollow point that is covered with a blue nylon coating to keep from leading. I am not sure if they still make them but they work great in snubbies. Pricey for practice but great for carry.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Nyclad's have been touted as one of the best .38's for snubbies. I still have 11/2 boxes. I think they're discontinued. Can't find them anywhere. If you can, get some. (Nyclads, that is).

Use el-cheepo for practice. Joe
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I use fedral hydroshock +p's for defence rounds in mine.

And the cheep stuff non+p for practice.

I did learn that my snub nose does have a heck of a kick with +p's that is very uncomfortable to shoot alot of at one time!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nyclad's, & all other teflon-covered ammo, have been discontinued & will never again be available to the public.

They were developed to eliminate lead in the air at indoor ranges -- primarily police ranges. And, they did that well. However, they will also do a better job of penetrating body armor than other types of handgun ammo. It is the so-called "cop killer" ammo that liberals in Congress were afraid would endanger our LEOs, even though there has never been a case of an LEO shot through body armor by (let alone killed) teflon-covered bullets.

It's still technically legal, but fear of regulatory action forced manufacturers to restrict its sale to LEAs at first; reduced sales caused them to drop it.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thaks for that info, nmyers. I had heard a lot of talk about the Nyclads being discontinued, but no firm confirmation or reason. Apparenlty some people are still able to get their hands on this ammo, but it must be from private individuals.

So, I'm leaning towards Federal 110gr Hydrashok PD (standard) or 110gr Winchester JHP (standard) for carry, and 148gr Wadcutters for practice rounds. A reasonable choice?
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timcat....I came to this party late, but ..

I usually try to keep some version of a HP that will open at snubby power in my wife's carry.

If you somehow left your 'practice ammo' in your carry, a soft wadcutter non+ isn't too shabby in wound channel creation.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "However, they will also do a better job of penetrating body armor than other types of handgun ammo. It is the so-called "cop killer" ammo that liberals in Congress"

That is simply not so.
    Nyclads 1. are coated with a form of Nylon, not Teflon, 2. have soft lead cores, not the hard cores necessary for penetration, and 3. do not penetrate any more than any other lead bullet.

The Liberals demonized the KTW hard target penetrating ammunition, which had a Teflon coating and was largely sold only to police for shooting barricaded suspects, and actually predated the general use of Kevlar body armor.

The similarity between KTW and Nyclad exists only in the minds of the ignorant, the antigunners, (often the same thing) and those so credulous as to believe their propaganda.

As to +P in "snubbys", that is what mine are loaded with. They are unpleasant to shoot, I doubt I will wear out the guns with the little I shoot for familiarization. But if I have to hit, I want to hit as hard as possible.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk carse has it right. NYCLAD bullets are covered in a NYLON coating. The bullet is a Soft lead hollow point that would otherwise lead the barrel of the gun badly if it didn't have the Nylon coating.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that corrected info, Hawk.

As to the +P.... My original thread mentioned that the short barrel revolver in question will be primarily used by my wife, and I am concerned that +P ammo might have a little too much kick for her (and thus compromise accuracy). Better a couple of WC's to the torso than a plus-pressure load that goes over the bad guy's head, I think.

Also, I'm worried that firing a lot of +P practice rounds might result in damage to the revolver over the long run.