In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope

IndianrunfarmIndianrunfarm Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a good..not great scopr for a Winchester Model 70 30-06. The P.O.S on it now has such a narrow field of view. I would like one that allows for more of a full field view. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a ART II scope and it looks to be in good shape.
    Can any body tell me who made it,and any value. The only thing I can see wrong with it is a little foging on the lense.Is there any body who can work on it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can a rifle scope be used on a shotgun? I have a 3x9 that I was thinking about putting on my fully rifled 11/87.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a cva 50 cal I would like to put a scope on it for deer hunting does anyone have any ideas on a not real cheap but not top dollar scope good for about 100 to 150 yards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am mounting a new scope on my 7 mm the front of the scope touches the barrol should I get taller rings or shim the front it is a simmons scope 3x9x50 if that helps
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dang, Polaris 700 is what I have too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a pre 64 Model 70 in 270 that has a Leupold 3 x 9 VXII. It works find but Id like to find one that is better in low light. Would ya'll make some suggestions?

Thank you

Rex
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know who might make a 3x9 scope with a post Thanks Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone make a scope with a post reticle I herd Nc star mightThanks Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    allright experts! whats the best value in a 100 to 300 yd scope? Not just the cheapest but the best value, i dont mind spending but dont want to just buy a name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,Just mounted the scope on my CVA .50 cal rifle. Does any one have the way a home gunsmith can be sure they have a level horizion line on their scope? Thanks for all the great advise I always get from this site.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like input on medium priced rifle scope for 223cal. Needs to be bright. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was wondering. Will a Gamo scope fit my Benjamin 312 rifle with the proper mounts. If so are the mounts available?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a modle 70 308 win and am in need of a new scope. my problem is that I do not know what I am looking for when I go out to buy one. If any one could give me some tips about buying a scope that would be excellent. thanks chris

chris bouldman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    recently bought sonaernice model 70 pre 64 in 308, plan to use as my personal rifle for deer and hogs, hogs out to 300 yds. any reccomendations on brand of scope and rings ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need some help before i call in the cavalary................ I have a new 3x9 by 40 Leopold scope on my new 223 Remington BDL rifle.....

I had them mount lower rings (maye my mistake) but the scope just touches the rear ramp..... the edge of the scope.

Either way, after about 200 rounds of ammo and 5 trips to the range, and countless adjustments....I was able to walk my 5 shot groupings up the paper and to the left so that I am "X" high but still to the right about 2 inches in 50 cent piece groupings..... I'm happy with the performance, but cannot seems to get to the "X".....

I am stopping at the gun shop today to ask them, but I am not sure if the scope can be zeroed out too far so that it will not adjust anymore...or I may have another issue...

OK....I'm open for suggestion...and admistrator
    if you could allow this to go to more than 10 if it gets going. Thanks for everyones help (in advance)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I mounted a red dot scope on my SuperBlackhawk 44mag my problem is after about 8 shot the scope moves.I have tighten and retighten the screws on the rings.what can I do to stop this from happening.[url][/url]

Edited by - Max ranger on 07/26/2002 21:49:18
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How and to what have you mounted the scope rings to? When I'm setting scope mounts on Mauser 98 receivers I attach the receiver to a level plate that is mounted level in my shop vice. After drilling the front ring/mount is usually true and level, but the rear ring/mount always needs attention to get the mount true and level. To set the level plate and judge the mounts in plane compatability, I use a machinist level. A 6" bubble level would work well enoungh to let you kown if your setup is on or not. That is if you can get your barreled action leveled out to start with. If you have a octagonal barrel it would be easy. Good luck.......
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The best way is to use a bore scope as it will give you the most accurate reading for scope leveling along with a great initial scope setting. They are not very expensive and you can use it or every gun you buy.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Ern is dead on as usual...
    But how it is that a bore scope can level a scope is way beyond me.
    They are good for checking out the inside of a bore and not much of anything else....
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mrbruce knows his stuff so listen to him. I mount my own and this is what I do at home. I hang a plumb bob in the house or garage out of the wind and use the string to line up the vertical cros hair. Just put the rifle in a vice or set it on a good rest. Aim it at the string and turn the scope until it lines up with the string. Just get the rifle as level as you can. For the distance you are going to shoot a muzzle loader this will work fine. Keep checking as you tighten the rings as sometimes the scope will turn while doing this, be sure to tighten evenly rotating from screw to screw. If you are setting up a long range rifle I am sure you would want to be more exact but this works great for me and I mount every scope my family and buddies get. Here we hunt with shotguns and muzzle loaders.

Good luck,

Scout
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Ern is dead on as usual...
    But how it is that a bore scope can level a scope is way beyond me.
    They are good for checking out the inside of a bore and not much of anything else....

A bore-SIGHTING laser could be set to provide the visible line by which to level the BORE, front to back, if the barrel is tapered and there is no outer parallel plane to the bore. The leveling plate and the machinists bubble are the absolute most accurate tools for measuring a level incidence for the mounting surface. Lining up the vertical line of the reticle with a plumbob string is only possible if the mount in the vise provides a level position for the scope mount base from side to side. Of course, there is also the rare possibility that some mounts might not tighten up in a true conformation with the receiver, and then your horizontal would be tuned to the mount, but not the rifle.

Add edit: "laser" inserted for "scope". These are just my thoughts on the subject, I am not an expert.

F.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    Mrbruce knows his stuff so listen to him. I mount my own and this is what I do at home. I hang a plumb bob in the house or garage out of the wind and use the string to line up the vertical cros hair. Just put the rifle in a vice or set it on a good rest. Aim it at the string and turn the scope until it lines up with the string. Just get the rifle as level as you can. For the distance you are going to shoot a muzzle loader this will work fine. Keep checking as you tighten the rings as sometimes the scope will turn while doing this, be sure to tighten evenly rotating from screw to screw. If you are setting up a long range rifle I am sure you would want to be more exact but this works great for me and I mount every scope my family and buddies get. Here we hunt with shotguns and muzzle loaders.

Good luck,

Scout

To make this method even more sure, use a bucket with used oil (or something with similar viscosity) for the weight to hang in. That is what we use on artillery pieces to make sure they are tracking perfectly when elevating the tube.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this being made more complicated than necessary or am I misunderstanding? I take it that Indianrunfarm has mounted his bases and rings in pre-drilled holes in the reciever of the rifle. Now he wants to know how to get the reticle level. The answer is to use a scope reticle leverler: http://tinyurl.com/yvo76h Here is one such from Brownell's.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I don't know about you guys, but I just put the scope in the rings (once they are mounted and the rings are lapped) and tighten the rings down so that they "just grab" the scope (but it can be turned slightly. Then I rest my gun so that it is level, using a small level to verify and is pointed at a horizontal line a window sill works well. Then I turn the scope until the reticle lines up and tighten the rings down on the scope. Once the rings are tight, I re-check the scope. This is the poor mans reticle leveler, and I have never had a problem doing it this way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks one and all for the great advise. I know just what to do on the go forward. Thanks again
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:But how it is that a bore scope can level a scope is way beyond me.

I believe you misunderstood what I ment buy "bore scope", another way to say is would be a "bore sighter" or a "colometer (sp)". Examples of what I'm talkting about are listed below.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_49670_400001002_400000000_400001000_400-1-2

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_81522_400001002_400000000_400001000_400-1-2

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_25887_400001002_400000000_400001000_400-1-2