In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 wisper

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
In searching this web site I have ran across a few rifles and hands guns chambered for this round. What is is based off of and what would it's hunting uses be, what's it's effective range. I was particularly interested in a T/C in this round for possible deer hunting here in IN

Thanks..........Scout

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    The 300 Whisper is based on 221 Fireball case necked up to 30 cal. It was designed to push a large heavy bullet at subsonic speeds, however, when loading with lightwieght bullets it almost match the 30-30. It is quite popular in the handgun silhouette circles as well as handgun hunters. It is effective on medium sized game up to about 200 meters. It is purely a reloading only round.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scouts -- I have a 300 Whisper TC 12" diamond bbl made some years ago by JD Jones. It is a hoot & very accurate. I have never used it for hunting, but could on deer sized animals or smaller. Can get the 125 gr close to 2000 fps. Not quite to 30-30 velocity from a 14" but enough if one is careful with it. If I were to hunt with it, I would likely choose the flat nose 30-30 bullet or a ballistic tip. Some of the spitzers may be a little tough to open-up at these velocities.

We use this one for shooting metal targets on our range (it is my lady's gun). I load the 125 to about 1650 fps. It is a lot of fun.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for the replies. This sounds like a fun round. If I ever get the reloading bug I think I would like it in a handgun. But until I get the equipment I guess I better stay away from it.

Thanks........Scout
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find the SSK Industries website...you will find it fascinating. JD Jones is an interesting cat, and the 30 Whisper is far from being the only offer they have, and he also has a long line of designs that depart in theory and performance from the Whisper line. He has done lots with the 225 Winchester case, and 444 Marlin as well. Many of his desogns were intended for T/C's, but many transfer over to rifles nicely. The 500 Whisper is one of my favorites. VLD bulletslose energy so slowly that they often retain a much higher pecentage of their initial velocities at, say, 1000 yards that most if not all of the big magnums, the 50 BMG included. Fascinating stuff. I have a buddy in Wisconsin who is in possesion of one and is permited for a can...what a blast! Just a little whish, followed many seconds later by the sound of a gong at 1000 yards! As recall, it is still moving at 520 fps at 1000 yds when it only started at 1040 at the muzzle. A new definition for "Whispering Death"!