In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt ever put a "Z-Kote" on their guns...

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I ran across this auction, guy is claiming to be a "rare" factory original "z-kote". Looks to me like someone spraypainted an AR with some wal-mart paint and is sucker shoping. Dude wants like $20k for this thing...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78812367

Think its a hoax???

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ooops, my mistake, $10,000, not 20...
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    All Sales Final!!!! No inspection period!! Red Flag!!! No Way!!!

That's the reason why I don't log-in while I'm browsing. Afraid I'll accidently hit the buy-it-now button, (if auction has BIN) or some other such nonsense. Then I'm committed.

Ref. the auction: Let's just say PT Barnum was right. Best, Joe

PS...funny tidbit. I was undecided on a BIN purchase over on the auction side. Went to take a leak. When I came back to the computer, my cat was sitting on my desk, next to the keyboard/mouse. And guess what!!! The cat bought the item for me!! He hit the BIN button[:D]

....not related to the post, but thought you'd like to hear my little tidbit just the same. Back on topic...$10K is a lot of money on a gamble. Z-Kote or not. Joe
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this a Title 2 firearm? The seller has good feed back and has sold over 170 items. Are we missing something?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Specialty coatings (Z-Kote?) were available for a short time early in production of the Colt AR15.

And yes. I'm surely missing something. Maybe not others. Maybe it's just me. What I'm missing is the opportunity to return a $10,000 item, and get my money back.

For God's sake! there's $10K involved here!!! Hello!!!!!

And using the escrow account to protect yourself.....guess what? You have to get permission from the seller to pay via escrow. Kinda defeats the purpose of escrow, now doesn't it?

No, folks. You won't get this particular item until you drop $10K. I don't have the cajones to take such a gamble.

(Ref. para 4...E-mail me if you want details). Best, Joe
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it is an early gun but Colt did a lot of strange things.
    The gun looks like an early 90s AR to me.
    It is not a Class 3 firearm and is worth about $1400 the last I saw one sell for.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, thats kinda what I was thinkin... I mean like Colt keeps records right, so if I were going to claim something authentic and try to sell it for $10k, then I would probably try to get a letter of authenticity from Colt. Or if I were just sucker shopping, maybe i'd spraypaint some krylon on an AR and try to hock it off on someone for $10k...

Either way, was just curious what you guys thought. I think he's sucker shopping...