In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice on an accurized M1A

glockmattglockmatt Member Posts: 129 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I'm starting the research in purchasing an accurized M1A. Are the SA M21's and M25's any good? You hear all kind of stuff about cast vs. forged and rear lugs and front and rear lugs. Bbl. choices and rebuilds by people like Clint Fowler, etc.
I will spend the money for the right setup. But where to start? I currently own a SOCOM and I want an accurized full length M1A as well. Please give input on optics as well.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to pick nits, but...M1A is a trademark of Springfield, Inc for their M14-clone. Is that what you want, or are you looking for ANY high quality M14-clone?

Springfield Inc makes a good rifle, but their quality control leaves something to be desired. They are a mass-production operation, so that's not surprising. They have been unable to obtain sufficient USGI parts, so they have commissioned many cast small parts, which aren't of the same quality.

Fulton-Armory (owned by Clint McKee) uses mostly USGI parts, & their rifles are built one at a time by a master armorer. There are others who can build a quality rifle for you, but you need to decide how much accuracy you want (& want to pay for).

In any case, be sure to read the F-A website; there's a wealth of information there.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less." ---- Neal
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Glockmatt: Hi, givette here. You said it all when you said "will spend the money on the right setup".

If you don't mind the wait, put a down payment on a LRB factory custom build. You can specify a r-5 1/10 obermeyer barrel, or any of the other top-notch barrels.

You can get [forged] scope-ready receivers, single/double lugged, bedded, etc. Then they ship it to a FFL of your choice.

Frankly, I'd be open to any build suggestions that LRB would recommend to me, if I had the ching-ching. But, alas, I don't.

Anyway, I digress. Check out their website:

http://www.lrbarms.com

Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I've heard of LRB Arms and already checked their site as well as FA. It seems like a lot of trouble and expense to find the right set up and keepng sub-MOA groups will require regular visits to a qualified gunsmith. I'm wondering if time and money is better spent in one of the M40-clones. I see all kinds of commercial offerings: Ed Brown, Tactical rifles, Patriot tactical rifles, etc. I know that true M40A1's and M40A3's are built by Marine Corp armorers in Quantico. How does one find a clone as mi-spec as possible?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Givette here again: Your original post indicated that you are willing to spend the money for the right setup. So, I'm going to continue along that line of thinking.

The "armorer tweaking" you talk about is done to a rifle by USMC competitors to get the most out of their rifles while the rifles are being constructed into match configuration. LRB has done that for you. After barrel/action break-in, they are not prone to drifting off zero.

Here's an M40. Again, it's a custom build. Just tell them you want it to be completely "milspec", and they will comply. And they'll do the armorer-tweaking for you before the rifle leaves the factory. If you can hold sub-moa (I can't, by the way) accuracy will improve on both of these rifles as the barrel breaks-in. Best, Joe

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78717346
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info Givette. It looks like a custom build when I'm ready. I don't know if I can hold sub-MOA groups (likely not)but it would be nice to have a rifle that can (at least in a machine rest). I'm guilty as charged for the typical "I want one of those" attitude. I guess no justification is needed as a gun enthusist (probably spelled wrong).
    Thank you all
    I also found some M40 info on searching old chats.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Givette's got it right... Having that R5 rifling cut 1 in 11.27" will really make the difference (I prefer the 11.27 as opposed to 1in10). I'd recommend an Entreprise Arms double lug reciever, and when you have it put together in a peerless package with the customer barrel at Fulton armory, let'em know specifically that you plan on shooting 175gr heavy match loads thru it so they can make the proper adjustments to the gas system so you don't go breaking op rods or something. Then start working you up a handload, buy you a bulk case of Sierra 175gr SMK's and some new brass. The handload is going to make it go from 1/2" to 1/4" groups.

As far as scope, you'll probably want an ARMS mount, throw lever base, and rings. Nothing else that I know of will work worth a flip. Get you a nice quality scope, at least a Leupold Var-X, maybe a Swarovski or Zeiss. Rule of thumb, if its cheaper than $500, don't put it on that rifle, if its over $1000 then it will probably work.