In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hi-Standard Model B, Smith Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently received a Hi-Standard Model B. It is in pretty decent overall shape, but it doesn't work.

The slide will not retract. I can pull down on the takedown lever and remove the slide without resistance, but with the lever up, it will not move.

Attached to the takedown lever is a lug of sorts. It appears to hold the slide on when it is up, and release it when it is down, moved by the takedown lever. On one end of the lug is an extension that appears to be made to engage the end of the recoil spring and guide.

I am not a smith, but I can sometimes replace a part. Any thoughts?

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forgive the novice question here...but is the safety off?[:o)]
    now, its not an easy combo of moves to explain in words. but it can be done. im fuzzy, is there a pushdown pin on top of the slide like HD's that model b? if so, it is part of the sequence. you have to push it down and swing the lever in the right order. trick is to get the spring in place with hammer cocked and behind the hammer. new haven guns...whew. what bears.
    john s.
    bgoforth...where are you guys?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    Dave....i think u may have broken a small piece of the spring in the slide....if u can remove the slide take all the springs out see if the slide moves freely.....with the slide off check hammer fall..
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sometimes that spring will jump track too.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmm. When the slide was taken off the first time, was the spring captured first?

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    Nunn,

There are three different takedowns for the Models B and C. The instruction for the Types IA nad IB are the same. Type II takedowns are completely different.

The types IA and IB have the takedown lever on the left side of the frame behind the safety. The types IA and IB have extensions of the retracting ros out the left rear of the slide. The type II has the takedown lever on the right side and has a small button on top of the slide.

Scans of instruction cards that came with the early High Standards are available for viewing , downloading or printing are available on my website at: http://www.histandard.info/manuals/letpistols/

Later , probably during or after WWII there were pictorial sheets for the guns with type II takedown

You can see the pictorial instructions at:
    http://www.histandard.info/SCRATCH4/ABCDE_type_II_takedown.pdf

My guess is that you are describing the type II. Problems with improper take down and reassembly are pretty common with this type
    take down.

If after reviewing the instrictions, you still have questions let us know.

John Stimson, Jr.
    www.histandard.info
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much. I saved your URL and files.

Mine is a Type II. If I understand correctly, I should pull down on the takedown lever and press the button on top of the slide to remove the slide. However, the slide will come off by only manipulating the takedown lever. I am not sure what the button on top is for.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    Yes you can get the slide off simply by moving the takedown lever but it is much easier if you first capture the retracting rod and spring by using the top buton as described in box 5 of the instructions http://www.histandard.info/SCRATCH4/ABCDE_type_II_takedown.pdf

Box 6 shows how the retracting rod and spring should be postioned when taken apart properly.

Box 7 shows how to correct for the retracting rod not being in the correct postiion.

If the retracting rod is not in the correct postion when reassembled, the slide stop lug tip will not be behind the retracting rod and the slide will not function proprtly

Takedown - Actually the process is to unload the gun, remove the magazine, pull the slide completely back and then press the button on top of the slice thus capturing the retracting rod. move the slide forward, and then swing the takedown lever down. Pull the slide off.

Assembly - After assuring the retracting rod is properly captured, slide the slide onto the frame whicl holding the takedown lever down. when the slideis fully on, release the takedown lever. Then pull the slide completely back. The retracting rod shoould be released and the gun ready to go.

John Stimson, Jr.
    www.histandard.info
  • Options
    PmazurPmazur Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I created a Youtube video that might answer your question:

High Standard Model B & HD Military Disassembly Field Strip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD43GAZ3TZ0