In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Hercules Shotgun

LSVDHLSVDH Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello to all,

A friend of mine has an old side by side 12gauge shotgun marked "HERCULES" on one side of the receiver. He's looking to sell it to his brother and wants to make sure the price is fair.

I'll post the pictures I have. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Levi.
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, for some reason the photos don't seem to be showing up.

I must be doing something wrong.

I'll have to wait and try from a different computer. This one has given me problems with uploading photos before.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to use an online photo hosting service like photobucket. Get a new junkmail address first. Then follow the instructions from this link. http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Good chance it was made by someone else like Stevens. Make sure it not Damascus barrels if you plan to shoot it with modern ammo.

Does it look like this one? http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/5100-41343.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks charliemeyer007,
    I'll try that and see if they show up then.

Yes it does look very much like that one.

I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy, LSVDH! Well, what's the price? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe Hercules is trade name used by Iver Johnson, on one of their shotgun lines.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    The gun is what is called a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker but with some other name on it. Guns bearing the name HERCULES were made by one of two makers, either Iver Johnson's Arms &Cycle Works of Worcester,MA (1871 to 1993) or Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls, MA (1864 to date) for and were sold at retail by Montgomery Ward Company of Chicago.IL. These guns were inexpensive by our present day standards selling for between $25 to$40 new. They haven't appreciated much over the passing years. Current value will be determined by the condition of the gun, it is assumed that the gun is in a safe condition to shoot and neither makers guns will have damascus barrels. A prime condition example and there are few of those around that appear to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much a $150 at auction but most sell for between $50 and $75. A rusty and pitted metal, rotten and broken wood and missing or broken parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fire place poker might bring as little as $10 if it could be sold at all. Please don't as for a date made. There are no published serial number-year made tables for either gun but they were made between 1915and 1940.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goforth's book lists dates of 1924-1941 for Iver Johnson's Hercules model hammerless double.

Here's one on the auction side that's been bid to $700 so far:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=462468508
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    The gun is what is called a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker but with some other name on it. Guns bearing the name HERCULES were made by one of two makers, either Iver Johnson's Arms &Cycle Works of Worcester,MA (1871 to 1993) or Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls, MA (1864 to date) for and were sold at retail by Montgomery Ward Company of Chicago.IL. These guns were inexpensive by our present day standards selling for between $25 to$40 new. They haven't appreciated much over the passing years. Current value will be determined by the condition of the gun, it is assumed that the gun is in a safe condition to shoot and neither makers guns will have damascus barrels. A prime condition example and there are few of those around that appear to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much a $150 at auction but most sell for between $50 and $75. A rusty and pitted metal, rotten and broken wood and missing or broken parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fire place poker might bring as little as $10 if it could be sold at all. Please don't as for a date made. There are no published serial number-year made tables for either gun but they were made between 1915and 1940.

I don't even collect shotguns. But would be happy to buy all factory new, Hercules doubles you have. @ $150.00 each.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who have given information so far.

Here's another attempt at uploading some photos.
    [img][/img]KantisHercules12GaugeDoublebarrelsidebysideshotgun001
    [img][/img]
    KantisHercules12GaugeDoublebarrelsidebysideshotgun018_zps6cebd47e.jpg
    [img][/img]KantisHercules12GaugeDoublebarrelsidebysideshotgun010_zpsde2945d1.jpg
    [img][/img]KantisHercules12GaugeDoublebarrelsidebysideshotgun009_zps2e6bdd3d.jpg
    [img][/img]KantisHercules12GaugeDoublebarrelsidebysideshotgun006_zps991d9bb3.jpg
    [img][/img]KantisHercules12GaugeDoublebarrelsidebysideshotgun001_zpsfd819fd0.jpg

These are what I have. Hopefully this will show everybody what were working with.

Thanks in advance,
    Levi.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Respectfully,
    Your friend should give this to his brother, as a wall hanger.
    This is not safe to fire, as is. The barrels are not even on face.