In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Have a patent for AR need a parts manufacturer

erderd Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a provisional patent for a device that converts the AR15 into a manual loader without permanent mods to the firearms. (10 minute job) Looking for a licensed small parts manufacturer that could take the lead producing the device.

Have working prototypes..I'm in upstate NY..the exact market for such a device.

Please send email.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    What license you talking about? Unless it's a serial numbered receiver, any jobshop should be able to make your parts.

Use the Thomas Directory. Look for machine shops in your area.

If you are trying to get around the SAFE Act by converting to non semi auto, the conversion needs to be permanent.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We produce/develop parts, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    What license you talking about? Unless it's a serial numbered receiver, any jobshop should be able to make your parts.

Use the Thomas Directory. Look for machine shops in your area.

If you are trying to get around the SAFE Act by converting to non semi auto, the conversion needs to be permanent.

It does not need to be permanent yet...just not easily undoable, without knowledge and the proper tools.

It's fairly simple to convert an AR-15 to a Non-Assault weapon, and still be able to fire semi-auto, and you can have such things as pistol grip, collapsible stock, and flash suppressor on the firearm...and it is still deemed Non-Assault, according to THEIR(CUOMO AND HIS BULLIES) definition.

Best

EDIT 1

Once again folks are saying that New Yorkers do not like guns, in a very erroneous fashion. They just can't seem to help their ignorance. The election results for Governor, by county prove different. There were only 1 out of every 10 county's that voted him in. A very small geographic region.

While I do agree, that this venture will be futile, especially since there is another method that will allow one to have all the naughty devices...flash hider, pistol grip, collapsible stock, and semi-auto...and still not be considered an assault weapon by the legislators who wrote the SAFE ACT.

Best
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-483925.html

By the way,you have a provisional application.
    There is no such thing as a provisional patent
    according to the fed patent office.
    Have you looked into the guns an or laws of
    Australia, they have some very interesting ideas on semi-autos.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-483925.html

By the way,you have a provisional application.
    There is no such thing as a provisional patent
    according to the fed patent office.
    Have you looked into the guns an or laws of
    Australia, they have some very interesting ideas on semi-autos.[xx(]

I have a provisional patent...I'm looking for a parts manufacturer ..let's stay focused on the question.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PATENT PENDING in some ways is more Protection to the original maker that after the patent is granted.give KAM sales a call he sounds like just who you need
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales

I suspect metal powder injection is what I need,,,anything you can help with?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keystone is an automotive supplier PM. You might want to contact them

http://www.keystonepm.com/
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all due respect, I think you are already in "over your head" if you have to be asking on an internet forum when trying to find a manufacturer for something you've invented.

I don't want to discourage someone from entrepreneurial pursuits, but it is extremely tough to do what you seem to be wanting to do -- particularly when there are already established manufacturers serving the niche market you are seeking to break into.

There is a reason why places like NY have the gun laws they have: because a lot of people there don't want guns at all. Inventing and manufacturing a "gun product" to try to serve a marketplace where people don't like guns isn't normally particularly profitable. Look at all the failed attempts with products that came out after the "1994 Crime Bill" for examples of the problems in doing what you sound like you're trying to do.

I'd encourage you to think long and hard, and talk to trusted friends, (and study the market intensely) before sinking too much money into your venture.

Good luck; I wish you the best, but please, be careful!
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by erd
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales

I suspect metal powder injection is what I need,,,anything you can help with?

There is limitations to what can be done by MIM, but if your part fits within those parameters then it is an efficient way to make parts. Generally CNC machining is the most cost effective way to make parts on a short to medium volume basis, but the design needs to be readily machineable or redesigned to be machined