In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help to identify revolver

Another PilgrimAnother Pilgrim Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone help with information on the handgun pictured below?

handgun-IMG_1093.jpg

handgun-IMG_1095.jpg

handgun-IMG_1098.jpg

handgun-IMG_1099.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appears to be a copy of a "British Bulldog", Belgian perhaps?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting combination of proof marks. Right side both proof marks, are from Belgium. Left side is from the Birmingham proof facility, in England. Because of this I believe that it's a early, (1880's) Black Powder Belgian made revolver. Sold commercially in England.

These Belgian made revolvers, were low cost copies. Patterned on the much more expensive, Webley Bulldog revolvers.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Left side is from the Birmingham proof facility, in England.

That's not a Birmingham proofmark: They have crossed scepters and letters B P C (final proof) or V (inspection)

This has crossed swords and letters F L.

There will likely be the Liege ELG in an oval proofmark on rear face of cylinder, and if the oval has a crown on top made 1893-1914..
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Zhuk book which has pages and pages of Bulldog revolvers with only minor differences. Caliber maybe .320 or .380 revolver very close to .32 or .38 Colt.

See, you really can "flip off the safety catch of your revolver."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I can see there are some real experts here. I have no use for this gun. Any thoughts on the best way to sell it. I am going to a local gun show at the end of the month. Would it be better to sell it there or should I try to sell it on GunBroker? Any idea of what to ask for it.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrf
    There will likely be the Liege ELG in an oval proofmark on rear face of cylinder, and if the oval has a crown on top made 1893-1914..

Yup, finding a Leige proofmark would nail down the origin of the gun. There was a lot of Belgian copies of revolvers made around the turn of the century that were copies of Webley-type actions. Unfortunately there was a lot of "cottage shops" making them so often they have no brand name or markings and vary widely in quality.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a few types of Bulldogs,,I like yours with the layard,,,although not high dollar item,,maybe an antique? ,maybe not,,,WAG for a hanger firearm,,50-100,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales
    quote:Originally posted by hrf

Yup, finding a Leige proofmark would nail down the origin of the gun. There was a lot of Belgian copies of revolvers made around the turn of the century that were copies of Webley-type actions. Unfortunately there was a lot of "cottage shops" making them so often they have no brand name or markings and vary widely in quality.

You guys are good. I took pictures of the marks on the cylinder. The marks appear as follows:

Crown with oval and small marks below - I suppose that is the Leige proofmark so the gun was made in 1893-1914.

"B" with mark above

looks like "O" with mark above

"36" - I suppose that is the caliber.

handgun-IMG_1106.jpg

handgun-IMG_1105.jpg

handgun-IMG_1104.jpg

handgun-IMG_1102.jpg
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oval w/ crown above, and letters ELG inside the oval is the Liege Belgium proof house. A common caliber for these- as said, was the .320 European Revolver- which is CLOSE to a .32 Short Colt (NOT a .32 S&W cartridge) They WERE made in other calibers. If a .32 S&W will not fit into the cylinder, is likely the .320 Euro.

These were an inexpensive copy of a British firearms (Royal Irish Constabulary revolver, IIRC) The copies were a few dollars each when made, and prices have not gone up much. $50 more or less, depending on condition.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Another Pilgrim
    You guys are good. I took pictures of the marks on the cylinder. The marks appear as follows:

Crown with oval and small marks below - I suppose that is the Leige proofmark so the gun was made in 1893-1914.

"B" with mark above

looks like "O" with mark above

"36" - I suppose that is the caliber.

The star over B is an inspector's mark.

The 36 is not a caliber marking, but may have identified an anonymous "cottage industry" craftsman.

The chamber diameter will be about 5/16" if a .320, or 3/8" if a .380.