In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CAR-15 Preban Upper.. value?

El_JefeEl_Jefe Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

As a gift, I was given a project gun. I was told it was a preban CAR-15 heavy barrel. I was wondering if you guys would have a clue as to what it would be worth. Its been sitting here for 3 years and I haven't had the time to build it up so I figured someone here could do something more special than I could with it. Here's some of the details...

The barrel is about 11 inches long. It has a threaded barrel and the longer style flash suppressor. It screws on and off quite easily, I'd imagine it would accept a sound suppressor if one was produced for it. It has a bayonet lug right beneanth that. Flat-top style with norear sights, has the Picatinny rail where the carry handle would be. It does have the front sight post. There was no bolt assembly. It did come with a collapsable buttstock and the foregrips and one Colt AR-15 mag, the buffer, and spring.

It looks older. Def not new. Its not beat up or anything. It has handling marks and the finish is aged, but there's not corrosion.

Anybody have any idea of its value?? it looks just like this, only its grey, and the barrel is shorter, and the flash suppressor is longer.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49413059#PIC

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any idea what you have there. "Grey" describes just about every AR-clone ever made. Your receiver & stock could have been made by anyone; maybe if you posted photos we could figure it out. At the least, there should be markings somewhere on both parts. Anodized aluminum doesn't "age"; it can change color due to chemical exposure &/or physical abuse.

The barrel can't be used by you; 16" is the minimum length. It's possible to have a gunsmith weld an extension on it, or you can pay $200 for permission to make a short barreled rifle. But, you should be able to sell it, provided you could figure out who made it, & buy a legal length barrel.

You should be able to search completed auctions on this site for prices realized, but, without knowing who made yours, there's no way to estimate the value.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'll run out and get batteries for the digicam tomorrow. I checked the stock and reciever. no markings from a manufacturer. i'll bump the thread up when i attach the pictures. thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say its worth $300 - $400 without the bolt and carrier.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I listed a colt one w/ knight rail system @400 only bidders i got were deadbeats!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have the pics... cant find an "attach" button on the post page.. lol.. i'm a *... any help?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you want to email me, I can send you instructions for posting photos as a Word attachment.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just sent you one, thanks for the help.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might as well buy a complete lower and be done with it.

http://www.rguns.net/009_page7.html
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have an illegal as Hell XM177 clone.
    But with a removable flashider
    This is a short barreled rifle.
    Same as a machinegun.
    Turn it in to the LPD or BATFE.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CP, while El was not very clear, I believe that he is describing an upper only. I say that because the title of his posting was "CAR-15 Preban Upper..value?, & he provides a link to an upper which he describes as just like his.

As long as he doesn't assemble it to a lower, it is legal. (See ATF P5300.4 page 37)

Neal

"Parts is parts" --- Frank Perdue
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    CP, while El was not very clear, I believe that he is describing an upper only. I say that because the title of his posting was "CAR-15 Preban Upper..value?, & he provides a link to an upper which he describes as just like his.

As long as he doesn't assemble it to a lower, it is legal. (See ATF P5300.4 page 37)

Neal

"Parts is parts" --- Frank Perdue

And it is assembled on a pistol lower (a receiver that has never been used as a rifle) and is not in possession of a buttstock, it is a legal pistol in most States.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nmeyers is helping out with posting the pic...

it is the upper only.. i could email someone the pics if that would be easier...

and i thought it would be legal if it was put on a preban lower... i know it would be illegal to put on a postban lower, but i thought it was ok to match up parts if they were all preban..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://djinni.topcities.com/airsoft/thewall.html

lower right hand corner... thats about the length of it and the flash suppressor looks the same.. could be that i have an XM177