In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Auto 5 made by Remington

modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I understand these were made for Browning during, or after, the 2nd world war. Is there any chance they hold a decent value?? It is in FINE condition..Looks new.Thanks for any and all views..modoc

Comments

• Options
    gadwalgadwal Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Modoc,

I have owned & used many of these old Mod 11's over the years. They were made in 4 or 5 grades, and unless it's one of the higher grades, they are mostly just shooters; due mostly to the fact that they are fixed choked and very heavy; not much in demand. Around here, a decent "standard grade" with a plain barrel will bring $250/350.00
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Modoc:
    I'm taking a break at work so don't have any of my references to look at but I'm understanding that your question is not about a Remington 11 but rather whats called an "American Browning" that was made for Browning, by Remington, while Belgium was occupied by the Nazis during WWII. In other words, FN wasn't able, right then, to make Auto 5's.

So, while I can't give you an answer,( I'm shooting from the hip & going by memory), I'm just saying keep asking. "American" Brownings may carry a premium after all.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "American Browning" A5 was manufactured by Remington for FN during the 1940 - 1946 timeframe. Other than the markings, they are identical to a Belgian Browning A5. They can easily be distinguished by the serial number prefix. Typically, the American Browning A5s sell for approximately 50% of a what comparable Belgian A5 will sell for... no premium value exists.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shoot it and enjoy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you one and all for your help..Sure thought it would be interesting to a Browning or Remington collector..Guess I was trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear again..Got it in a trade and am about to add it to the auction..Thanks everybody..modoc
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to me I read that Browning licensed Remington to make the 11 for the American market. It was a little different, in one way I know of, no magazine cut off on the Rem. Still a great shotgun. Just a flashback in my muddled brain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I kinda wish my brain was so muddled..I have trouble remembering my own name..Thanks
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is amazing how many people do not even know these existed, even Browning fans.

I had a beauty of a little 20. The top of the receiver was matted unlike the regular brownings.

The one I had was made in 1941. A got it from a friend whose dad bought it the year he was born.

I tried to get a new friction ring from Gun Parts Corp and they kept sending me one for the Belgium Browning which was slightly (larger)different. When I told him it was made by Remington, he insisted that I had a Remington model 11 and sent me the one for it. It didn't work either. I told him that mine was a Browning and had the magazine cut-off and was marked Browning, not Remington.

I argued with him over and over and finally sent in the old part to get the correct one. They located it and got me the part but the guy was an idiot who claimed that I didn't know what I WAS TALKING ABOUT. Turned out it was the other way around.

My experience is that the 12 ga one will bring about 3/4 of what a Belgium Browning will but the 20's will bring a pretty nice price nearing a standard Belgium 20.

The 20 I had would shoot like a house afire. I sold it to a good friend who cut the stock down and had it fitted with a polychoke for his grand-daughter. I told him not to but he didn't care about the collectibility of it. He said he bought guns to use them and that if he was going over barb wire, the gun would end up with the scratches and not him. He knows what works for him, but I alsmost cried when he told me what he was planning.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    LIKE GUNFUNCO SAID THEY ARE AN ODD MIX OF PARTS, NOT TOTALY A-5, NOT TOTAL BROWNING, SOME SAVAGE TOO. THE LOCK SCREWS ARE DIFFERENT, THE FRONT TRIGGER GUARD SCREW ISN'T, IT'S A SLOTTED PIN ECT. ECT.
  • Options
    leoleo Member Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another difference is the American Browning has one extractor. FN has two.