In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which is better

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
Which is better? I am looking to buy a Marlin 1894 CL in 25-20 or 32-20. Which would be better? By better I mean more accurate, or would they be basically the same in that department. Plan to use for plinking and small game. Iron sights.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for a hot 9MM or 38 for varmint hunting. Which is better a 9x23MM, a 38 Super, a 357 Sig or a 38/45 Auto?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you had to pick between the kel-tec p32 or the baretta 32 caliber which would you pick?
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get one of each.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For your use there is not much too choose between the two. The 25 will leave smaller holes in pelts if you are concern about that and it will have a flatter trajectory. Ammo for the 32 is a little more available and it will have better termial ballistics (knockdown power).

Tim
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless your a reloader, go with the 32-20. Even if you roll your own, it's going to be way easier and cheaper to get components specifically made for the 32-20. My 2?.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree also withthe 32-20. All in all more or less a wash in the accuracy department, but the 32-20 has taken much larger game over the years, and as far as pelts go, loading it down for that specific task is a great idea. Better commercial availability of ammo and components. Great choice of gun too...really like the Marlins.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. 32-20 it will be. Any way to improve the trigger pull.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EASY to get a better trigger..TAKE IT TO A GOOD GUNSMITH..Only damned fools try to do it themselves,then take it to a gunsmith for three times the cost..But,just because you see a sign,"gunsmith" do some checking..Not all are really qualified..modoc
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy,

I can think of a lot better firearms to go plinking with. Small game and plinking with iron sights to me says's .22 or .22 Mag. A step up would be a .22 Hornet. Still more better rounds with more power for what you express.

However it seems you have a chance at buying a historic({?}, I couldn't see where Marlin is making new 25-20's or 32-20's ) firearm with a historic cartridge. If that is the case see if you can't buy both. Both cases are kind of weak as far as any knockdown and both cases are kind of expensive if you can find them. Accuracy is not really inherent in either the rounds(components that you load can be better) or the rifles you are talking about. Still shooting a 'good old round' such as either the 25-20 or the 32-20 through a lever action can be a lot fun. I'm just saying if you want something that will drop a dime at 100 yds these aren't going to be it. Look at Savages bolt rifles or Marlin's bolt rifles in .223.

-Let us know if you come up with more info or other ideas.

Edit: I stand corrected. They are making the 32-20. Again, for an unusual round it can be fun. For going out and plinking it will be kind spendy, and accuracy is bettered by the above mentioned rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Really appreciate the information. I am going to use for plinking but think I will stick with the 32-20 vs the 22 mag or 22 lr, as I think it would have a little more punch if I really needed it.