In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

side by side

kzluke750kzluke750 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have an old side by side double 12 and the only markings on it is Premier. Can any one tell me more about this or lead mye to the info?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference notes that Premier was one of the Trade Names used by Crescent Firearms Co., on shotguns made for various U.S. wholesale hardware companies. As Crescent went out of business in the 1930's, the shotgun would probably be at least 75 years old.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats a great help. I had absolutey nothing to go on. Were there alot made? Do they have any value? Are they considered to be a good firearm?
    thanks rufe-snow.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Crescent products were /are mostly considered middle of the road as far as quality goes. Much better than Belgian clinkers. Not nearly as well built as an Ithaca. Not generally considered a member of American Classic Doubles by any means.

Safe to shoot? It all depends on condition, chambering, and the loads you intend to toss. Under some conditions these are good little doubles.

Value will be rather low if the gun is in any less than new condition. Always lower than a classic double and always a bit higher than the junker utility pieces of 100 years ago. Obviously I'm comparing based on condition.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kzluke750
    Thats a great help. I had absolutey nothing to go on. Were there alot made? Do they have any value? Are they considered to be a good firearm?
    thanks rufe-snow.

Crescent was in business between the 1880's and the 1930's, they probably made hundreds of thousands of shotguns during that time frame, using many different Trade and Store Brand names.

If you intend to shoot it, take it to a competent Gunsmith for inspection and test firing, to make sure it's safe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nord I appreciate it. I have shot this gun on several occasions at clays and I love the way it handles. Maybe I have been a little hasty. I'm not intending on selling it but would like to continue using it for clays and small game. Thanks all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There you go Henry. Post edited.