In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester model 12 simmons rib question

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
ok, lets think this out.
is it possible to take a 28" vr bbl that has a winchester simmons installed factory rib, take off the rib rail, slide it on to a 26" simmons ribbed bbl and trim it to its new length? in other words, are simmons rib posts the same and is the rib finished at both ends or is the end closest to the receiver lobbed off neatly and pinned in? the adjustment must be made at the receiver end to keep the sight beads in line.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob you just make me LMAO! Yes originally the ribs have finish on them at both ends! The original rib from the 50s I believe has a different groove than the later simmons ribs.

I take it you want the Winchester "matting" on your vent rib, if so just have Andy make you a new rib. Slide it on and pin it and your done!

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i was updating the thread when you answered. read again for clarification.
    this is the deal. both are later 60's ribs. straight line grooves on top.
    i have a factory 28" full vr simmons rib in 20ga. (no i.d. on side of rib.)
    i have a winchester skeet 20ga 26" simmons vr rib marked kansascity mo. the gun that has the winchester rib is a non factory upgrade with gold inlays. the gun is a shooter, but the rib is a keeper.
    the skeet gun i have is a shooter, but has the potential of being more original if only it didnt have a kansas city rib on it.
    im willing to take off the kansas rib and slide the winchester one on and trim it. this will make the skeet gun a wincheter rib and leave the upgraded gold gun w/o a rib, for later on.
    whats the easier way? im mean, if it can be done, im willing to do it.
    my goal isnt to profit from this, i just want to restore a gun closer to its proper/desired configuration.

the wife was right, i should stay out of my clsoet when there is a house to paint...[:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What you want to do, wont make it a "Winchester" rib. Why not just remove the Simmons info from the rib and re-mat black finish?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its like i got to squeeze this info from you! geesh!
    my original question was....what is the difference between simmon post/ribs kansas, and simmon post/ribs for winchester? and, can they slide on and off?
    of course there are numerous ways to do this and of course good ole andy. but i was just asking what was different btwn the two? if andy can slide a rib on, so can i. unless of course, there is something NOT that easy and if they arent floating ribs. THAT was my question.
    if simmons is held to exacting tolerences as the guns themselves, this should be a no brainer. agree?
    [:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Bob: The original Donut Post rib from the 50's, the rib is "matted" just like the "2 Pin or Solid ribs" When they went from the donut post to the cylinder post they started the straight lines going No.& So. Also if you look real close to the donut post of the 50's and the later donut post that Simmons used from the late 60's and ond on there is a difference.

Now from what I can tell from what you are saying, your only concern is that you have "Simmons Gun Specialties" (something like that) on a rib and you don't like it. Push the pin out near the receiver extention, slide the rib off, polish the side of the rib until it's gone, re-mat black finish it and slide it back on. Don't make a science project out of it. If that doesn't work for you, call Simmons buy the rib material in the white, fit it to your gun, mat black finish it and your done. don't screw up one Md 12 trying to make another one prettier! When you call Simmons, buy a few rib pins too.

Now as far as difference of the rib, the groove cut on the bottom that slides onto the rib post, I believe it's a standard dove-tail joint, what I don't know is the "size" of the dove tail if that has ever changed.

Does this help you?

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    finally! bubba meets rocket scientist. the readers must get a kick out of how it IS POSSIBLE to communicate between the two, with patience and longsuffering! like always, thanks! off to the laboratory, i mean my mud hut.[:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry Bob: I try to read between the lines, but am not always succesful. All I was seeing was a 28 in barrel with no rib, (if you removed it and put it on your 26 in. barrel).

BTW your welcome bubba, LMAO

Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so, as it stands, the dovetail that the simmons rib slides on to the posts with, is still in question. its time to investigate with good ole dismantling and exploratory surgery. stay tuned!

next question will be, what size ball peen hammer do you use to whack in a plate 5 engraving?![:D]

for those reading our exchanges on M12's, so youll know, OW is the coin collector of the group. im the slot machine that eats the coins and plays with the M12's. OW is the guy who would faint if he saw me lay my grade 5 gun down on the ground in moist grass. im the guy who just wants to get the knats off of me using two hands, while im shooting.[:p][:D]
    OW collects fire ax's behind glass. i smash the glass and use them to put fires out.[:D][:p]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.