In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are Ruger P89 9mm's reliable?

PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
A guy has offered to sell me a Ruger P89 9mm for $250. How reliable are they? Is it worth the price?

Comments

• Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    stainless or blued?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know, will have to find out. Is one better than the other?
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a little on the heavy side, but like all Ruger, is pretty much dependable, durable and as accurate as can be, espec. for the price. A little oil, a little cleaning occasionally and they just keep eating pretty much what ever is fed to it.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    utterly reliable with all kinds of ammo. I have the earlier but identical P85 MK2 and it tolerates being dirty very well. They are a bit bulky but built like a tank. Accuracy is well within acceptable parameters for a combat or self defense gun. If he gun is in great shape Blued or Stainless I say get it. Only add on I like for them is a set of Williams Fire Sights.
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good price if it is in decent condition. The P89 is built like a brick (in shape and strength) and is very reliable with good mags.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, ive decided to go ahead and buy it. He's also including a laser, 100rds or so of ammo, a 10rd clip, and a 17rd clip. Looks like a really good deal to me.
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    id say reliability is probably their only selling point [:D]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I've had a P89DC since, oh gosh, many, many years now (at least 10).

Mine's been nothing but a pleasure to shoot. The only time I ever ran into a problem was when I made the mistake of buying "surplus military ammo" from Gary over at Sportsmans Warehouse (or whatever his crap company is called) and about every other round jammed. But, after tossing that garbage, the P89 has gone ahead and fired flawlessly anything else I've been able to feed it, including Walmart ammo.

My only real complaint is that sometimes it is like it takes three hands to disassemble the weapon.

I'd buy another if I was in the market for one.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    welli was just wondering for the price. my dad has one and its really nice. eats anything its fed
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine has been flawless from day one, ive bought the cheap hi-cap mags from sportsman guide and use them when plinking at the range. i've been contemplating changing the sights on it but that's just me. for the price he's asking if it's in decent shape i'd definately buy it.
  • Options
    swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Piece,

If you buy the gun and don't like it I will give you the $250.00 for the gun and all the accessories that you listed as long as the gun is in good shape.
  • Options
    swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Piece,

If you buy the gun and don't like it I will give you the $250.00 for the gun and all the accessories that you listed as long as the gun is in good shape.