In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bonehill air rifle

dpdp Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi All,
I was given an air rifle marked:
CG BONEHILL SOLE MANUFACTURER
COXS PATENTS
on the top of the barrel near the breach, and on the side:
THE BRITANNIA
Regd TRADE MARK
RD394207

It's rumoured to be 5, or so, generations old.

If anyone could say anything about it, I'd be interested. Or even where I could find more about it.

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the "Dictionary of Guns and Gunmakers", your airgun is noted. 4,000 were made for only a short time in the early 20th Century, ( 1905-09 ). C. G. Bonehill, of Birmingham was the manufacturer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks kindly. I'll head off to the library to see what I can.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Afternoon Doug: Here is some information on C.G. Bonehill that you might find interesting...
    Belmont Firearms Works
    Price Street
    Birmingham
    C.G.Bonehill was born in Birmingham in 1831. His Father was a wholesale ironmonger and manufacturer. Christofer was apprenticed to Mr. Aston, a young gunmaker and contractor to the Government.
    He founded his firm in 1851 and by 1870 was ready to undertake the supply of military rifles for the French government. Bonehill took over the factory of the National Arms and Ammunition Company in Belmont Row. He was responsible for the BRITTANIA Air Rifle, one of the earliest and most powerful British rifles.
    Bonehill made the "Belmont" range of A & D actioned shotguns and a range of sidelock guns, all of which could be had with removable sidelocks and optional single triggers, the latter fo 10 Pound Sterling extra.....
    Top lever hammer guns were also offered and the hammerless range was available as a pigeon or trap gun chambered for the 2 3/4 or 3 inch cartridges....,
    Among his activities was the introduction of the 'Brittania' air rifle, as well as miniture rifles, including large quantities on .22 rifles, including a number for the New Zealand Government. The range included ball and shotguns having rifle choked muzzles, combination rifles and shotguns were also manufactured.....
    The firm were pioneers in the use of machinery for the manufacture of sporting shotguns based on techniques employed for the manufacture of military rifles.....
    Mr. Bonehill was for many years prominant in the politics of the trade, and was also a Guardian of the Birmingham Proof House for 28 years.
    He also held 8 Patents, and I can supply said patents if You so desire...........Hope this is of some small help......Best......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Thanks for the additional info. I can track down the details of the gun, patent numbers and the like. The thing that is going to be tough to sort out is the history of the actual gun. It's possibly interesting because the story goes that it belonged to the great-great grandson of James Douglas, the first governor of British Columbia. A rather minor historical significance.

Perhaps someone can indulage a further question - since the gun is in good working order, what sort of maintenance is appropriate?