In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

taurus 1911

gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
hoping to get some insite on these, reliabilty, quality, accracy. Basicly are they a good gun for the money or should a guy throw some more $ in and go for a smith or somthing. I'm looking for a good 1911 to throw rounds down range and enjoy. there are so many out there now that any info would be appriciated. thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Are parts such as barrels interchangable with colt parts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning and Happy Veterans Day to all veterans out there. I have the oppertunity to buy a new in the box Taurus 1911 for $529.00. Is this a good price, is this a good gun for the money? Thanks for all of your input
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FYI

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't Taurus make the 1911 (PT1911)in 38 Super?
    I called Taurus Friday and was told the 1911 was NEVER made in 38 super and they had plans to discontinue the 38 super (PT38)altogether.
    I would think collectors would want to know if true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has any one tried out the new Taurus 1911? It sounds like a lot of pistol with all the mods and at a fair price new.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're actually really good shooters.

Do a search on here, they have been the topic of many conversations.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I have one and I love it[:D] I have put about 650 rounds threw it with no malfunctions. The only thing that had to go was the grips (cheap plastic). I would recommend one for any 1911 collector....
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a shooting buddy that is looking to get one of those. he can get it for $450.00 brand new. good deal? i think they look like a great gun with a lot of features for the money but then again a High Point is the best gun in the world if you believe everything on their webpage... i'd like to know how the taurus would rate if it were up against say a kimber or other pricey 1911. no comparison? not quite as good but definitely worth the money? same or better? i appreciate any information. thanks in advance
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever see the front strap checkering on that Taurus? And what of that hammer lock? Taurus had to have one I guess. Ever see a Nighthawk mag? Or a hard chrome finish on a Nighthawk. You're really compairing apples to oranges even though they're both 1911s. I really don't think Taurus can beat Wilson Combat's accuracy guarantee. It's also hard to believe a factory produced 1911 could beat a hand fitted 1911. However the Taurus seems to be one of the best choises for that price range. Face it if you're scared to own a pricy custom hand fitted 1911 you'll never come to appreciate the skill and talant to know what to expect of it. Most likely you'll end up owning many cheap factory deals when if you got one really great one you'll come to not stand the rest cuz there will always be an attempt to make a better value more affordable 1911. When you can't have a Corvette you can have a Camaro and they're both Chevys. Once again opinions are asked of in an expert topic. No I've not shot a Taurus 1911 nor care to since American Handgunner I believe covered it in one of their past articles. If I rembered correctly I think it jammed! One other thing custom features that come standard on a gun are not mods.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I think the question was about the Taurus PT1911, and our opinion of it, not compairing it to a custom built 1911. I think dollar for dollar they are the best deal out there right now. I have shot two differant PT 1911s that belong to members of our club, they both shot straight and function great, the rest is a matter of tast, and means. For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know I tend to be through, many times topics get redirected so you have to read all that's there and get it back on track and my posting is on target. Opinion poll.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Taurus 1911 is really to new to form much of any opinion. I have seen one, and shot about a box and a half of ammo thru it. Not enough to properly test reliability or accuracy. They have all of the custom features at a good price. If they are reliable, and can group inside 2 inches at 25 yards with good ammo, then it is a heck of a deal...even if you do have thousands of dollars to throw out for a custom, hand fit 1911. It all depends on what one is to do with it.
  • Options
    tarbaby54tarbaby54 Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to know where midnightrunpaintballer found one for $450...that's the best price i have heard of. Also my 2 cents worth: I don't have this gun (1911 ) yet, but i do have a Taurus PT945
    (45 Auto) among other Taurus products; and just love em'... I believe they are a very good product...especially for the money and a LIFETIME WARRANTY to boot. The new 1911 is on my wish list...Be safe out there.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I bought my PT1911 last fall for $464. I have a lot of different 1911s that I can compare it to and it is the best deal. I wish it was not built with the same internal firing pin lock system that the 80 series Colts, but I can live with it. The only things I have done to mine was change the main spring to a 19#, recoil spring to a 17 1/2# Wolff variable, and the sear spring to a Clark. I was going to replace the firing pen spring with a Wilson, but I found long ago that on a 80 series system it makes the gun harder to assemble since you can't lock the firing pin in the foreward position with the longer spring. I also wish the barrel was slicker inside. It will lead up with cast bullets. I like a Wilson or Kart barrel that will come clean with a couple of brush strokes.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    511, if you have never shot, or handled one WHY did you carry on about custom 1911's???? I own quite a few 1911's, from a Taurus to Kimber customs to Novaks and a couple I built my self, search,ONE MORE COMMANDER QUESTION,and look at it. The Taurus is about the best one on the market for the money. It shoots with most of the ones I have.