In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oregon Concealed Reciprocity?

OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Oregon doesn't appear to have reciprocity with any other state for a concealed pistol license. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oregon does NOT require proficiency shooting to qualify for a license. All you have to do is take an 4 hour non shooting class to apply (then the Sheriff does the background check). They do offer 8 hour classes that include shooting but as it is not required most other states don't recognize us.

Oregon does not recognize other states permits and most states states don't recognize Oregon permits. You gotta love politics![xx(]

EDIT Added info. Last I checked Oregon does not recognize permits from other states this might have changed but I have not heard about it. There are some states that do recognize the Oregon permit.

GOOD CATCH BARTO. I just found this info on current states that recognize Oregon permits they have added two from the list I had.
    Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, and Vermont.

Another option being offered by some insrtuctors is being able to get the Non Resident Utah carry permit. Many states recognize the Utah permit and with both permits you can carry in 33 states. Nevada and Pennsylvania now recognize the Utah permit.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I checked Oregon DOES have reciprocity with 13-14 other states.
    Might wanta check again.
    [^]barto[^]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oregon apparently recognizes no other state permits. The link, dated 2002 agrees with the NRA-ILA listing dated March of this year.

http://www.saf.org/reciprocity.html

As far as why, your guess is as good as anyone's. My guess is that because Oregon is a nanny state of the worst kind, they know better than, and cannot trust, anyone else.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele