In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did anyone make a handgun in 17 HM2?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I thought S&W chambered a revolver in 17 Mach 2 but I did a search and can't find anything. Can you shoot a 17HM2 out of a revolver chambered for 17HMR?

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Nope...

Slightly different diameter at base, and different shoulder location

Taurus made/makes a 17 revolver, and Excel makes a semi auto in both 22wmr and the 17hmr
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 22lr and 22mag case are slightly different diameters and the 17s are based on these cases. Some companies make 22cal revolvers with interchangable cylinders so as to be able to shoot the two different cases. I would expect that would be the system that you should be looking for, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So am I correct that the 17 Mach 2 can be fired in a piece that is chambered for the 22LR?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    So am I correct that the 17 Mach 2 can be fired in a piece that is chambered for the 22LR?

I think it would chamber, but the bullet would bounce around heading down the barrel and the case would probably rupture...could be messy.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Chris, I'll forget that plan!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger did make a convertible 17 HMR/17 M2 I believe. I know theere were some 1911 style conversion units for it, as well as complete pistols by Kimber. NAA chambered their Mini Revolvers for it and also offered a twin cylinger set up.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    The Magnum Reasearch "Picuda", and the Volquartsen "predator," both come in .17Mach 2. They are both similar to the Ruger "Charger."