In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mitchell's Mausers

ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have a comment on buying a K98 from the above?
As advertised?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Any good, or junk?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just saw an ad in the December issue of American Rifleman for Mitchell's Mausers - for Mauser 98k Model M48. Anyone know anything about this company? Is the rifle what they say it is?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about WWII collectibles. The ads Mitchell's Mausers run in the NRA mags and other mags make these Mausers look really good. Maybe to good?? Are the prices they are asking about right or high? If you would like to pick up a good quality WWII mauser with the intention of leaving your son something truely special and collectible where would be the best place to go? (I'm one of the crazy one's. I'm 61, my son is 9. The Lord is good!) I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter. But my father was in the U.S. Army Air Force flying bombing missions over Europe during WWII and it only seems appropriate that my son has a WWII rifle or 2 that will commemrate his and all of our heritage. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas are welcome. Thanks TODD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone here have any experience with them? The rifles on their website look good, maybe too good? are they original? stocks refinished? I'd like to have a very nice K98k and don't mind paying well, but I want matching and as original as possible. I will fire it, but I take great care with my guns, so don't mind shooting a really nice one. I'll appreciate any comments, pro or con regarding Mitchell's guns.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are overpriced and not as advertised. The Russians reworked every single one the caputred. Mitchell's refinishes them, makes the number match, and over charges. You can do a search (upper right on the page) and read past questions about them. With that said, I've heard they do make fine shooters.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you are a purist collector stay away.

If you don't mind paying a lot for a gun that looks nice, then they are a good bet.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a "representative" rifle, the post-war Yugo M24 can be a good value. Mitchell's sold thousands of minty Yugos for $300 (at the same others were selling them for $150). Well-used Yugos were selling for $100-119 not long ago.

If you shop around, I'm sure you can still find a nice one < $200.

Neal
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    they are a RIP OFF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    many thanks for the help