In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pistol scope on my M44 carbine

titan10462atitan10462a Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've got an issue with the scope on my newly purchased rifle. First off,I did not mount that scope onto the rifle, I received it that way. The scope is for a pistol but I guess the previous owner put the tasco 2x20mm in order to clear the bolt when recycling the weapon. The scope is in good shape it just needs to be sighted in correctly. I tried sighting it in at the range but the scope is so "off" that I can't even get on paper at 25 yds. I might just put the iron sights on and call it a day. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I also have a 91/30, with iron sights, and the damn thing shoots awesome! I need to get the 44 to that level.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not knowing how your scope is mounted, e.g. to the rear sight mount, or wherever, makes it difficult to assess the problem(s). I do have experience with mounting a pistol scope on my Mosin Model 91/59 carbine, done in such a way that no damage is done to the rifle, and it can be (and has been) easily re-converted to its original configuration. It would seem that your mount is nowhere near aligning the scope to the bore of the rifle, or is not solid, or maybe both.

On the 91/59 (and I think the Model 44 Mosin is similar), the rear sight is pinned against fore-and-aft movement on a dovetail on top of the barrel. Driving out the pins allows the sight to be drifted off the dovetail forward. The dovetail happens to be just about the perfect size for a "Tip-off" scope mount, such as is found on the grooved receiver of a .22 rifle. I used a strong steel "Tip-off" style (I think that term may be a Weaver Trademark) 1" rings to attach a Leupold 2x long-eye-relief pistol scope. It aligned great, and function was perfect. All cleared forward of the receiver, to allow stripper-clip reloading and bolt function in the normal fashion. This is reminiscent of the late Jeff Cooper's "Scout Rifle" concept, a light powerful carbine with the forward mounted scope.
    There are also commercial sources for "Scout-style" Mosin scope mounts that utilize the pins for fore-and-aft retention. These weren't available back then for me.

The whole thing worked great, was accurate and reliable, offered very quick target acquisition, and I used this rifle to shoot a very nice Pennsylvania whitetail buck a few years ago, using S&B 7.62x54R factory soft-point ammo.

By the way, my little rifle shoots just fine with the stock iron sights. My method did no permanent alteration or damage, the only way I would have considered mounting a scope on a Mosin rifle.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't figure if you have a bad scope or a bad mount.
    Darrell makes great scout mounts.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/23925

Check out this link, and contact Darrell at m39scout@bellsouth.net, you won't regret it.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming you have one of those "B Square" rear sight replacement type mounts that use weaver rings, correct? You may want to try Weaver brand windage adjustable rings, probably cost about $25.00. If up & down is the issue I'm pretty sure there are set screws in the mount that will allow for adjustment.
  • Options
    titan10462atitan10462a Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, that is exactly what I have. The scope is manufactured by Tasco - 2x20mm but the mount is one of the "B- Square" type mounts. I'll definately find out about those windage rings, hope that makes a difference. Thanks for the info.
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    Assuming you have one of those "B Square" rear sight replacement type mounts that use weaver rings, correct? You may want to try Weaver brand windage adjustable rings, probably cost about $25.00. If up & down is the issue I'm pretty sure there are set screws in the mount that will allow for adjustment.