In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Universal M1 .30 Deluxe Carbine Price? Pic

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
pix2116858984.jpg
pix2116858859.jpg

Universal M1 .30 Deluxe Carbine in Nickel Finish. It has a 18 inch barrel, five shot magazine, deluxe Monte Carlo walnut stock. What would be a fair value?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The term "fair value" doesn't apply to this gun.

It appears to be a late model Universal, made when quality control was poor. It's durability & safety are questionable. I wouldn't buy one, at any price, & I would never let a friend or family member fire it.

If I were to find one lying in my yard, I might try to sell it at auction, but I would warn bidders not to fire it without first having it checked out by a gunsmith. And, I'd hope to get a sucker willing to pay $400-500, but anything I got would satisfy me.

Neal
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .30 carbines are priced high now, even Universals. Put it up on GB with a $275-$300 opening bid. You'll probably be surprised at how high it goes.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MMYERS is correct - its a POS but you probably will get some one to buy it.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maxx424
    MMYERS is correct - its a POS but you probably will get some one to buy it.

+1 pos is kinda harsh but get the point across

dgac
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have an early model Universal and I have fired maybe 4000 rounds thru it without any problems. Only mods to it was to smooth up the action and trigger a little. Well the ugly hardwood stock in now a nice Od with black spects. Something about the twin guide rods and the lever on the right of the receiver to lock the bolt back and the s/n I was told that mine is the good Universal. Anyway it has served me well. Very accurate considering it to be a combat rifle. 3" at 100 isn't bad for this little carbine.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have an early Universal .30 carbine that I acquired from its original owner, a distinguished Korean veteran. He shot the heck out of it and just before he passed away he gave it to me along with 3-4 thousand rounds of surplus ammo. I have run at least 1,000 rounds through it with no problems at all other than one of the 30 round mags doesn't feed worth a darn, all the others he had work fine. A lot of folks have told me mine is nothing more than a POS but it is certainly worth more than $300-$400 to me
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Buying a Universal? Always ask to pull the barrel group for inspection before you agree to purchase.

As long as you find a Universal with a single recoil spring (on the right side) you are good to go. Any non-USGI part can be swapped-out to MILSPEC.

I upgraded the aluminum trigger guard assembly (containes the FCG) with a forged steel Inland, and USGI hammer/trigger, etc. The gun came with a USGI Underwood [.U.] bolt, and a USGI General Motors [SG] operating rod.

So now, I have zero collectibility, but a non beater with all new, or as new parts. If I were to sell, photos and good description of what's in the gun will get me a good return. Damn Straight! Best, Joe
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I would ignore all the naysayers and price it at around $475; if it functions and reloads itself, it's a shooter. I've never heard of any Universal blowing itself to pieces, since the barrels were never in question. The receivers and some internal parts are usually GI-compatible like givette's unit, and I can't see any reason not to price it accordingly.
    My opinion would differ if it were made by Hesse or Vulcan, but it wasn't.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As above, I have shot some Universals throughout the last 25 years and all worked fine, except one sight that needed repair. The experts can call me a liar or whatever but thats my experience..nambu