In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 7400

DrumfeedDrumfeed Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
has anyone heard of gas block cracking on 7400? what could cause and can gun be fixed. gun is 30-06 delux

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi have a 308 remington 7400, the gun has been chamming. After taken the gun to three different gun smith, they came to the conclusion that the barrel had a problem with it. Seem that the carthridge would expand and have problems ejecting. I keep my gun clean and I had never heard of this problem.

Has anybody ever heard of this kind of problem?

It is possible to change the barrel?

And where can I buy a used barrel?

thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up one of these in .30/06 at a live auction. I notice that the locking lugs are of a more convential style (bolt action type) than the interupted thread style of my 740. Does this make the 7400 any more durable than the 740?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi
    iam thinking of buying one in 30-06,is it a good gun to buy?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good Morrow Gents,
    I purchased a New Remington 7400 Weather Master in .270 caliber, 3 or 4 years ago. It shoots straight once sighted in, But even when new, or even after a good cleaning, I have misfeed problems.
    Anyone here with this experience, anyone know if its fixable, or is it just my luck I got a lemon?
    for those that don't know, its semiauto and has a removable 4 round magazine.
    By the way the weather master I have is stainless steel, no rusting problems. Also, I talked with a few of my shooting friends and they said it could be the ammo, Ive had trouble with remington rounds, but
    winchester seem fine, that maybe the main problem.
    Any help is appreciated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine is looking to sell his (in 30-06) so I did a search of the completed auctions (for rough estimate)and was amazed to see how few were selling. Is there a reason for this other than the economy? My second question is before the economy ate it does anybody have any idea what a used one in fairly good condition with an average scope (I know pictures etc. but have never seen the gun thus the vague description) would have gone for? Thanks in advance for any info. No matter how vague it is more info than I have now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if remington offers the model 7400 in .280 rem. with it's "weathermaster" stainless steel package???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if the synthetic stocks off the Model 750 will fit the 7400's?

I picked up a 7400 with a wood stock that is in good shape. I don't want to scratch it up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just picked one of these up in a GB auction and upon closer inspection noticed it had no sling posts. well i found the front adapter, but would like to know if you have to drill the holes for the rear posts. it is the synthetic model, 270 caliber. i haven't gotten the gun yet, just saw it in the pictures.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one with the same problem it no longer lives here it went back to Remington 2 times before I traded it for something else
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked into this a lot 2 years ago when I bought my 7400. Based on all the information I found, I gather that it has a lot with the casings sticking in the chamber; that is, if the chamber is not squeaky clean or accumulates a hint of fouling, the jamming starts up. That's why Remington includes that little wire chamber cleaning brush in the box.

Another observation (although it doesn't do you any good with the .270) is that the long actions seem to have a LOT more jamming issues than the short actions. That's why I ended up going with the .243 version. Have shot mine a lot, and never had the first jam.

Also, don't over-oil the thing. That will get it all out of whack. Good luck.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found in reloading for mine (308) that small base dies are required with the press set to cam the brass to the minimum are a must. Also soft primers (Federal, Winchester, or Remington), no hard primers (CCI).

BAR is much more reliable
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a 7400 in 270 that would jam. I sent it to remington repair shop and they cleaned/polished the chamber and have had no problems since.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington Model Four, and 7400 were supposed to be upgraded versions of the model 742. Ever since the upgrade about 1982, that line has been more prone to stoppages, no matter what chambering they are in. I believe it has to do with the gas system, and the 4 lug bolt they have. Also that it might have to do with the surface finnish of the chamber being a little rough. Not sure what the corrective action could be other than to sell it to some unsuspecting fool, and get a Browning BAR, or Winchester SXR.

Best

EDIT:

For lube the best product I have found is Tri-Flow.

EDIT 2:

Drumfeed,

That Weathermaster you have is NOT stainless steel. It is Electrolosess Nickel plated. If they are plating the standard dimension recievers, that could be the problem. To tight of a fit. You might also try another magazine or two, as they have been less than perfect also. Still my advice is to unload it on some unsuspecting idiot, and get a BAR,SXR, or Benelli...if you want reliability.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problems I've seen deal with a crudded up extractor and dirty/rusty chambers. A proficient 'smith can remove the barrel and give the chamber a good polishing.
    Don't use heavy oil or grease on the gun. A teflon based spray is good, but good ol' Double Dee Forty will work when nothing else is available.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Do not use WD 40. It dries out and gums up actions. It also has extremely poor lubricating properties.

Use Rem Oil or something similar.

But yes, the gun must be kept extremely clean to work well. The Browning BAR and Benelli are much better auto hunting rifles.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a pump, they fire first time every time,( must be able to chew gum and walk at same time to operate)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Laughing, Yes but meanwhile I have a 270, I need to either fixed Or Have a guilty conscience pawning off on a trusting buyer....
    Not a position I like to put any of you in thats for sure