In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sears Model 101.100 single barrel shotgun

stickthisstickthis Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
My son has the oppertunity to buy a used one of these in 20 gauge. He said this one has a button on the left side of the reciever that you have to push for the barrel to open up. From the info he gathers, it's a savage M96/96y.
Anyways, he wants to know, does these guns have a half cock notch on the hammer? He said when the hammer is lowered down, he can still push the hammer forward the whole way up against the firing pin but, when he lets go of it, the hammer will spring back into a half way position.
Also, the firing pin a spring loaded too. He's wondering, was it made like this or is this gun unsafe to shoot & carry? He said it looks to be in really good shape. he's supposed to test fire it tom to see if it'll shoot ok & maybe buy it.

Thanks for your time!!

Comments

• Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is correct, the Sears model 101.100 was made by Savage and designated the model 96 and I believe that it is supposed to have the half-cock hammer position, I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith that can evaluate it to make sure that it is operating correctly.