In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recoil Pads

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
Need some advice.
Over the years I'm finding that heavy recoil and loud noises don't have as much appeal for me as they once did. My .375 and .338 are long gone and nowadays its my .257 and .222 that see the most duty.
Still, I have an 8mm and an '06 (M. 98 and 1903) that keep asking me to take them out every once in a while. Neither has any collector value at this point and I'm thinking that one of the newer recoil pads (like maybe a Decelerator?) would make these sessions more enjoyable than the near rock hard aging pads that they now wear.
So what do folks recommend? and if it makes a difference I'll be installing these myself using minimal tools; i.e. a belt sander and the memory of having screwed up one or two in the past.
Thanks, and Happy New Year All!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a browning lightning feather set in 20 and 28. I would like to put a relatively thin recoil pad on this shotgun. Any suggestions of a pad that would not significantly increase the lop and that would not require gunsmith installation. Thanks
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Limbsaver. Not cheap, but good.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Limbsaver. Have one on my 300 RUM (and a muzzle brake) and between the two it makes the 300 RUM feel like a 308.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen on recoil and on Limbsaver recoil pads. I use a slip-on and put it on whatever I'm target shooting, both to reduce recoil and add a little length. You'd only have to buy one slip-on and wouldn't have to modify your rifles plus you can slip it on anything you're shooting. I take it off when hunting because layers of hunting clothes help with both recoil and length.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone!
    I have plan. Will order a slip-on Limbsaver from Brownells and try it out on the 8mm and '06. I don't shoot them that much anyway, and if I decide I really want fitted pads I'll take my losses to the auction side and get the individual pads.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the kickeeze Sorbothane are also very good, I have them on my trap and skeet guns
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a couple of thoughts---If you are going to do a new limbsaver pad, make sure you get the "grind to fit" style. I've done a bunch of them, and because the material is relatively soft, they tend to leave a rougher finish than others. A bench sander is much better, as you will have better control. Use about 100 to 120 grit, and go slow. Great pads though. Possible second option, which I use with the "Big Boys", is get a PAST RECOIL PAD, that straps on your shoulder, like a shoulder holster sort of. They are not for hunting, but great at the bench. This way you don't have to do the new pad thing. They're about $20-$30.