In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 1906

HenryT747HenryT747 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 1906 .22 pump that was owned by my father. According to Winchester, it was made in 1919. Based on what I've read, the condition is probably good, maybe slightly less, but I don't want to over rate it. There is some light surface rust on the barrel and the wood is original. I shot it as a kid in the late 50s to early 60s. It hasn't been shot in probably 40 years or more. The only problem I remember it having before was that after a couple of shots it would not eject the Long Rifles completely so we shot shorts normally. My questions are; should I try and get it restored or leave it as is and just try to deal with the rust and what can be done about the problem with shooting Long Rifles? I don't plan to sell it for sentimental reasons but looking at the ones here for sale, it's significantly better than the worst one for sale on this site but not as good as the top dollar ones. It's closer in condition to the middle priced ones than the worst one.

Comments

• Options
    queque Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would completely disassemble and soak it in PB Blaster. Thats what I use but any good penetrating oil should work well. clean it up, reassemble and test fire. may be due to old carbon and oil build-up.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Henry,

Leave it as is! (other than cleaning it as I have outlined below).

With the serial number, I can tell you the specific month and year it was manufactured.

It is normal for the chamber to get crudded up a bit after shooting 22 Shorts then switching to LRs. If you soak the chamber with quality gun cleaning solvent, then use a copper of bronze brush to scrub it clean, the problem of not ejecting the 22 LRs should go away (at least until the chamber gets crudded up from shooting Shorts in it). Personally, once it is good and clean, stick with shooting nothing but LRs in it.

As for the light surface rust on the barrel, that must be dealt with soon, as it will not get any better. Fortunately, it is an easy problem to fix.

My personal prefernce is to remove the stocks (wood), take down the rifle completely (remove the barrel assembly from the receiver), and apply a very liberal coat of Kroil to the barrel (and all other rusty areas). Allow the Kroil to soak into the rusty areas for at least 12-hours (24 is better), and then use a fine copper wool pad (or bronze wool) wetted with more Kroil to gently scrub all of the rust and grime off of the steel surfaces. Make sure to frequently wipe down the areas you are cleaning, reapply more Kroil, and continue to gently scrub until the steel is completely free of the rust. The copper wool and Kroil will not harm the bluing, but it will remove the rust. After getting everthing good and clean, simply reassmble, and apply some Old West Snake Oil to the entire gun.