In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Glenfield 75

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
I know a guy who is selling a Glenfield 75 and wondered what yall thought. The reciever has got a little bit of surface rust, and the barrel has some surface rust on the outside. on the inside, everything looks fit and clean. He said he would sell it for $40, and i might take it if he doesn't trade it with another guy. I thought about cutting the barrel down a little bit (if its legal), refinishing it since most of the blue is wore off (probably all black heat resistant paint and just keep the wood the same) and using it as a gun to just throw behind the truck seat. What do yall think, and any tips on the refinishing?

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $40 more or less is about right. Barrel at LEAST 16 inches, overall length at LEAST 26 inches to meet Federal law. Cut the barrel with a hacksaw, and you have probably just wasted $40. Cut must be machine tool SQUARE, and then you need to recrown the muzzle. If the rifle shoots well, get it, rub the metal down good with a light oil and a clean cloth (amazing how much rust you can remove with elbow grease) give the wood a coat of neutral paste shoe wax, let set 10 minutes, buff it up. Yeah other products MADE for it, but how much do you want to spend on a $40 gun? Or, Hi-temp flat black bbq grill paint- just keep it out of bore and moving parts.
  • coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    thanks 11b6r. After thinking, I probably won't cut it the barrel. Do you know how long the barrel is originally? I'll probably just clean it up, it would be cool to get it nickel plated, but i dont see that happening. Or i could buff it up real good (I have one of them electric buffers and could put a mirror finish on it). But yea, when i thought about cutting it, I just got done lookign at them cool ruger charger pistols.[:D]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC, those had about an 18 inch bbl- but take a tape and measure REAL good before you trim anything. anything below 16 inches becomes a "Short Barreled Rifle" which is worth a lot more than $40- it is worth 10 yrs in a Federal pen, and about $250,000 of your money. DO NOT try to make a pistol out of a rifle- there are several Federal hoops to jump thru to do that legally. Don't mean to yell at you, but this is an area it is easy to screw up badly. Of course, you could get some flat paint from the model shop, and do yours in camo pattern. Hey- for $40, you can afford to play around some.