In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Glock 19 shooting low-----how to correct?

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
Wife and I went to the range today. First time to test shoot a few handguns. My wife is a pretty good shot. She fired her Glock 19 at about 25' and was hitting about 10"-12" low. Later, I tried it with the same results.

I bought this gun slightly used from my local dealer. It came with Meprolight Tru Dot night sights which, I assume, was installed by the previous owner. Was using PMC Bronze, 9mm Luger, 115gr FMJ ammo.

Suggestions, please.
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A foot low at 25yds is quite a bit. It could be that your both flinching slightly.

If the rear sight is adjustable then move it up a few clicks and try again.

Glock does make fixed rear sights made at different heights and adjustables if your current sights are not adjustable. Then it would be a simple re-adjustment to get back to the center.

All of my Glocks came very accurate from the factory so it could be that the previous owner installed too low a rear sight.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some different brands of ammo. I have found a lot of inconsistencies between differing brands.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    FAST LIGHT bullets normally strike lower then Heavy slower bullets in the same pistol try some heavier weight Bullets.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try some 124&147gr. ammo, and see where they shoot for you.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nah, should be dead on at 25 yards. Have either the front or rear sights been replaced?

Shoot it off a sandbag/makeshift pistol rest where there isn't a possibility of flinching, and shoot a couple different types of ammunition. If its still shooting low then maybe the front sight is to high or the back sight is to low.
  • clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming sights are not adjustable and are installed correctly. Meprolights come in matched sets, right? Factory barrel and not some noob gunsmiths first attempt at a modded barrel, right? Only think to do is try new ammo, maybe got a bad box. Weight of round wouldn't matter @ 25'. If you're a seasoned shooter, I really doubt your problem is anticipating the recoil. Good luck and happy New Year.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    You're probably anticipating recoil and pushing the gun forward.

To see if this is the case, have someone load the gun for you with one Snap Cap randomly placed inside. If you flinch when the Snap Cap comes up, you'll know it was your fault and not the gun's.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    File the front site down a little. I have
    the same problem with a Colt SAA. Instead
    of 255gr bullets I now shoot 225gr ones[:D]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it to a good local reputable shop, and have them install the proper sights. Sounds like the previous owner stuck a set of sights for a Glock 17(longer barrel) on it.

Best