In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Annealing !!

mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
One for the engineers -

Does any one go thru this process, if so what temp do you aneal to, for how long ?
I have re-loaded some brass 10x & although all looks well, should i anneal to stop the work hardening process ?

Was just going to pop the Brass into the oven to warm thru , for an hour or so.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not an engineer, but I done a bit of annealing on some rifle cases that were hardened. Check this link out it explains it pretty well. I myself used the "tip over" method. ...Good Luck!
    http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do not run the brass in the over, or even attempt to anneal the case body EVER!!!! The oven prolly can't get hot enough, even on broil, but there is a possibility. If you anneal the body, the case may very well blow up in your face.

Only anneal the neck and shoulder. You can buy a chemical called Tempilac (sp) that you paint on the case, and it melts at the correct temp. After a while, you will be able to count off the seconds and know when it is done.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    662 degrees Fahrenheit (350 degrees C) for 15 minutes will anneal your case necks. If the cases turn a faint orange colour (aprox 950 deg F) they will be ruined.

It is vital that your cases are as clean as possible before you anneal them.

You can get Tempil "Temp-sticks" at a plumbing supply store. The trick is to uniformly anneal the case neck. This will require some sort of rotation device (slow turning drill motor and a case holder) and a propane torch. You want to prevent the case body (and head) from exceeding 495 degrees F (257 deg C) because this is the point where grain structure changes occur.

PS - if you heat the entire case at 600 deg F for an hour it will be ruined. This is why the oven is not a good idea.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jun96cases.html

An article online over annealing cases. I personally don't see the point. Its just another process that really just costs time that I don't believe is worth the price of the case.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman

An article online over annealing cases. I personally don't see the point. Its just another process that really just costs time that I don't believe is worth the price of the case.

The 1000yd IBS world record was set by cases annealed every firing.

Annealing saves brass that might cost $2/each and would have otherwise been thrown away. When you have 6+hrs in prepping 1 lot of brass for competition, you try to get every last firing out of it. I do it for consistency, which is worth more than money when you hear "ready on the left,.....ready on the right,...shooters insert your bolts,......commence fire"[8D]

Annealing returns the "springback" to the case necks, which uniforms neck tension and therefore reduces Extreme Spread. That translates to less vertical dispersion on target and less variance in wind drift values. It's all about group and score, money isn't an issue.

I made this machine with a fart fan motor and a rheostat. The case holders I had made at the machine shop for specific casehead dimensions.

101_0829.jpg

101_0828.jpg
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I anneal with a propane torch clamped into a vice. The lights are kept dim in the room. I put the tip of the mouth into the flame turning the brass all the time. Each piece is held with a pair of 12" handled pliers. As soon as I see the faintest glow from the mouth I drop the case into a can of water.

I've been annealing every two firings for a while. Brass life is extended noticeably and accuracy is definitely improved. Scientific my method is not, working for me, it is!

I saw plans somewhere for a rotating case annealer made from a rotisserie motor. I just happen to have one spare here and will build it soon, making my life easier.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman

The 1000yd IBS world record was set by cases annealed every firing.

Annealing saves brass that might cost $2/each and would have otherwise been thrown away. When you have 6+hrs in prepping 1 lot of brass for competition, you try to get every last firing out of it. I do it for consistency, which is worth more than money when you hear "ready on the left,.....ready on the right,...shooters insert your bolts,......commence fire"[8D]

Annealing returns the "springback" to the case necks, which uniforms neck tension and therefore reduces Extreme Spread. That translates to less vertical dispersion on target and less variance in wind drift values. It's all about group and score, money isn't an issue.

I made this machine with a fart fan motor and a rheostat. The case holders I had made at the machine shop for specific casehead dimensions.

101_0829.jpg

101_0828.jpg

NICE!
    What I like about the case holders you made is they would soak up heat that might soften the base of the case more than desired. We don't need soft case bases blowing primers out.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Annealing cases will give you the exact neck tension each and every time, and that is critical for accuracy. The price of brass cases these days would make me want to do it even if I havn't been doing it for years. I had a pricy machine for a while, but can do just as well with a charged screwdriver, and a case holder, and a bucket of ice water.. so I sold it...
    I rarely let any of my cases go more than 3 times before I'll do it again...
    A very light blue colored ring at about 1/4 inch below the neck shoulder junction tells me I'm where I want to be heat wise, and I want to do it as quick as possible, usually a count of 8 will get me there. A lot of that will depend on the torch your using.....
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    NEVER PUT THE CASE IN AN OVEN TO ANNEAL. You will anneal the entire case icluding the base and next time you fire it you will have terrible things happen, the case will fail.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Well ..well..We learn something every day,your expertise & experience is appreciated.Thanks guys

Happy new year [:)]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Originally posted by leeblackman

101_0829.jpg

could you explain how this thing works ??