In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chrome, Nickel, or SS?

BuccoBucco Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
How can I tell if a pistol is plated or SS? I have what I believe is a nickel plated revolver, but after looking at some new pistols, I'm not so sure...

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your pistol to a gun shop/gun show where you can compare the finish on yours to several known others in good light. You should be able to distinguish the difference. Another option is to give us the make and model and serial number of your revolver and we may be able to determine the original finish options. Lots of blued revolvers have been nickled later in their lives and it is usually easy to tell the difference from stainless. S&W blued guns which have been refinished with nickel often have the trigger and hammer in nickel too which is a quick confirmation of a refinish job. S&W original nickel finish guns had heat treated triggers and hammers and were not nickel.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best hard tool chrome that I've seen was on a Nighthawk Custom it freaked me out as it did resemble stainless steal. Hard tool chrome seems to leave darkish deposits towards the edges of a metal part(clue). Stainless tends to be dirty microscopiclly. Put some solvent on the metal and after a short period of time wipe it off with a white hand towel. If it appeared clean starting out and stuff came off in the hand towel then it maybe stainless. Plated surfaces seal micro surfaces. Stainless has the tendancy to gall easy(clue). I'd keep Hoppies #9 away from it untill you know it's not nickel plated.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    DSCF0067.jpg Is this stainless or hard chrome [?]

PS, have you ever seen a '70 series stainless [?]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This is a Series 70 in satin nickel like yours:

113736-2.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt did not make stainless pistols during the original Mk IV Series 70 run from 1970 til 1983. You CAN get the "Series 70 reissue" current production guns in stainless.

As to Bucco's white revolver, what IS it?
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a magnet. Yes, some SS is mildly magnetic but it's easy to tell the difference if you test a steel piece side by side.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compare its' color with a known stainless or chromed item.
    Nickel finishes have a yellow cast whereas stainless is whiter.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Use a magnet
    +1
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    well you have to tell us what you have[?][?][?]
  • Options
    BuccoBucco Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a S&W Mod 27-2 357 Mag 5" barrel with case hardened trigger & hammer, so I guess it is nickel. Serial No. 396000. Also former FHP, with Pachmeyer grips.

I would post a picture, but I'm not able to at this time.

Why not use Hoppe's #9 on SS?