In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Alaska Rifle

osubullriderosubullrider Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
First of all, Happy New Year. I am looking to buy my brother a rifle for his birthday but I am not sure what to get him. He lives in Alaska and I have no experience with the big game up there. He is interested in hunting moose, bear, etc. I was thinking a .338 or maybe bigger? Give me some suggestions keeping in mind that I want to get him a gun that he can use in multiple situations and hunting scenerios.

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey sis, what you getting me for my birthday? Its in march. I live in central Texas and theres lots of potential zombies here. So you know, any type of AR would be good ;)
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .338 would be a fine choice. As a personal preference, and some might argue this, I like the controlled feed of the Mauser type actions.

I won't recommend my personal favorite the 9.3x62 simply because of ammo availability, but the .375 H&H is a venerable, well respected calibre. Not sure about ammo availability in Alaska though.
  • Options
    clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Alot of moose, elk and black bear have been taken with the regular old 30-06. And I really dont think there is one perfect cartridge, I like to find a ballance between wieght of the rifle and recoil.. a 400 grain bullet wont kill anything if the shooter flinches due to the horrindus recoil of the round they choose to hunt with.. And a rifle that is fast in the hands is a must if you are hunting potentially dangerious game. My pick of the rounds below would be the .300 win. mag. and lots of practice.

.340 Weatherby Mag 250 grain 3000fps

If you want something thats hits harder and weights more..
    .375H&H 300grain 2600fps
    .378weatherby mag 300grain 2950fps

My dad hunted Canadian browns with a .300 win mag BAR back in the 70's.. He is not bear doodoo so it must have worked for him. When my uncle was in the AF, stationed in Alaska They killed a couple of browns with Remington 742's chambered in 30-06 when they would wander up to bases garbage dumps.. Granted, they where good marksman.. I am sure that some folks would only use a .416 Rigby or bigger to hunt elk..
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am assuming that when you say bear, you are talking about the Brown, and the interrior grizzlies as a possibility of having to fend off when hunting moose, or just hunt them. With that said, I would go with a minimum of the 338 Win Mag, and look at the 338 Remington Ultra Mag, 375 Remington Ultra Mag, and the 375 Ruger. That ruger has a lot going for it, as it is in a Mauser style rifle, and the cartridge can be put in a shorter action, and lighter rifle then the RUM(Remington Ultra Mag.

I like my 30 calibers, but they are a little light, IMHO for the big bears that will hunt and eat you.

The previous poster is trying to get someone in deep doo with a really pissed off bear. Has no clue.

Best
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    How about a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I left Alaska in '77, but unless things have changed a lot since then the .375 H & H would be my hands down choice; great option whether you're hunting or being hunted and (at least back then) ammo availability would not have been an issue.
    There's a lot of real small places in that real big land where local stores just aren't going to carry the latest heartthrob from Ruger or anyone else.
    Happy New Year!
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    My brother-in-law lives in Alaska and hunts with a Marlin 45/70. Since my tastes run more toward the old tried and true calibers, I would choose a 9.3x62 Mauser (I've got one), or a 35 Whelen. There are many cartridges that would fill the bill. What is your brother comfortable with shooting? Several things to consider.
    Good luck on your quest.
  • Options
    bearshooterbearshooter Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived and hunted in ALASKA for 35 years, smallest caliber rifle I hunted with was a 7mm Remington Mag. that I used on the smaller animals like Sitka deer, sheep, and goats, largest caliber I ever used was a 375 H&H on a Delta bison, my go to rifle for most hunts was a stainless steel, synthetic stocked Ruger 77 in 338 Winchester Magnum, 250 grain Grand Slams and the biggest bears on Kodiak are down, does wonders on moose too, and drop down to 210-225 grain bullets and elk and caribou are the target. That stainless Ruger is tough, excellent safety, CRF action, and a very reasonable price your brother would have all the rifle he would ever need.
  • Options
    coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote is also for the 338 Remington Magnum. They are plenty heavy and don't beat you to death when you pull the trigger.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since bear (esp the big browns) is in the mix, .338 WM is my minimum. With the right 225-250g pills properly placed shot should do the trick.

I have a Ruger M77 MKII SS in .338WM (in agreement with bearshooter). Savage 116 FHSAK Weather Warrior series is also a good choice ...

http://savagearms.com/116fhsak.htm

Good luck.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son has lived in Fairbanks since 1990. He carries the guide gun (45-70) when he is out and about. For hunting he uses the 35 whelen, built on his grandfathers rifle, a pre 64 mod.70