In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trying to choose - Springfield XDM or Beretta 96

jrsminjrsmin Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
Looking looking looking... got it down to a Springfield XDM or a Beretta 96 both in .40 cal. Outside of my 410 and my 243 I haven't shot much else or done upkeep. Looking for anyones opinion regarding upkeep, maintance, reliability, quality, etc in this match up. I can get the Beretta for about $400 nice used vs $600 for the xdm new. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do a lot of shooting, the polymer of the springfield would be my choice of the 2. I take my Beretta 92 to the range quite frequently, but only put a few clips through it. My glock 19 on the other hand, several boxes. Less recoil and just a better feel with the polymer. As far as maintenance snd upkeep, winner is again, I feel, the polymer springfield. I will say this for the Beretta, i have never had a jam or other technical issue. Were you able to shoot the Beretta? Does your range rent the XD? They both look good and are good performers, now which one feels better in your hand, and after 100 rounds(If you spend as much time at the as I do)? Good Luck
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, hate to say it but it seems like an obvious choice. Unless your just nostalgic about Beretta, the XDM is the superior choice.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the XDM over the Beretta, but I would not get either of them in 40 S&W. I would get either a 9mm or 45ACP.

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think this is a no-brainer at all. Both guns are high quality, reliable rugged, and would make good choices for a service-type pistol.

I'd say it depends on three things:

a. Whether or not you like having the Beretta external safety.
    b. Which gun fits your hand better (XDM has adjustable grips).
    c. If you prefer lighter or greater weight.

Lighter weight is good for carry. Greater weight is good for reducing recoil and (to a small extent) shooting more accurately. Are you going to carry this thing on you, or are you going to shoot it at the range, and keep it in a drawer at home?

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the Beretta (grip too fat and DA trigger pull kind of too heavy), but I see nothing wrong with choosing this one over the XD if it were a better hand fit, or if you liked the Beretta platform (eg maybe you were in the service).
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your right, probably the least bias of us all. I own a former Beaumont PD Swat Beretta 96 with the old school surefire light. I rarely if ever shoot it. I have the XD40 and the Glock 22 with a M6 Light/Laser. I shoot and carry my Glock mainly because its what I went thru the sheriffs academy with and I'm so familiar with it. But if I started over I would have taken the XD40. It has a way better trigger pull, and I like the ambi mag release. The Beretta, even new without the light, I just wouldn't carry. It just seems like a very awkward gun to shoot. Starting on 1911 types, I'm ok with operating a safety before firing a weapon, thats not the issue. Its the whole slide mounted safety. Its just wierd. I see the Army guys operating the gun with two hands. Every time they run to a new target, holster, unholster, they always have their other hand operating the safety. I just don't shoot like that. And for some reason I swear the gun has more felt recoil, even though both the glock and XD are lighter guns. I don't like that the front sight is milled into the slide either. Sure it can't ever come loose. But I don't like its sight picture and would like to change it, and of coarse I can without some fancy mill work and soldering or some kinda wierd mount over conversion. The magazine capacity is 11rds, which is least of all above mentioned and it doesn't really even make up for it with pointability or having a smaller grip profile. In fact it think it probably has the widest grip of the three. I am bias, and its my opinion, but I just think that its kinda out dated. Though it is a good very duty capable weapon, my preference would be the XDM without a doubt.
  • Options
    clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...if you run out of ammo, the heavier Beretta would hurt more if you throw it at your attacker's head! The reason for less FELT recoil in the polymer guns is the energy is slightly absorbed whereas more is transferred with steel. Ever see a plastic tuning fork? Didn't think so. Good Luck with your choice and Happy new Year
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    You'd be a whole lot happier with a SigPro .357.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    In 40 S&W the Beretta lags in capacity as well as in the locking system is a bit weak unless you get a Brigadier model.

Ergonomically I have always found the Beretta to work better with my hands.

I suggest you at least hold both to see what you like.