In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever Shim a scope?

Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a browning B-78 in 25-06. It came with a 1 piece leupold mount. When sighting in, I adjusted the scope all the way as high as it would go, and it still shot low.

Could I shim this scope to make the front higher? I assume I would place the shim under the front of the mount.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would want to shim the rear of the mount.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to brier-49 before you shoot yourself in the foot.

Have you tried immobilizing the rifle and moving the cross hairs to the point of impact? If you are on paper, it is the quickest way to confirm if you are within the range of adjustment.

edit:

Please don't take offense if this is obvious. I've seen a number of people get frustrated sighting in a rifle only to discover they were adjusting the wrong way.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could also be the scope, have you tried a differnt scope. Had a Nikon lats week that would not adjust windage (left-right).
  • Options
    shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can shim the scope and yes, you put the shim or shims under the mount. Brownells has the shims on their web site. They aint cheap. You are bore sighting first, right?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shims can be cut from any of a number of metals. When I've needed to shim a scope mount I've cut shims with shop sizzors out of Aluminum cans and punched the screw holes thru with a punch and a metal block with the right size hole in it. It takes a couple of trys to get it right but they work well and are cheap. Another thought, are you sure the one piece base is the correct one for your rifle or just one that someone put on it that happened to fit?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, I didn't bore sight. I just started off at about 50 yards and it was a foot low, kept adjusting the scope and once it ran out of adjustment, it was still 2-3 inches low. I'm pretty sure the mount is correct, but anything is possible. I've never tried another scope either.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horney toad,

Something sticks in my mind that the Browning takes a different mount set up. I used two different two-piece mounts to get the scope level when I was testing one of these. Check either the Brownells catalog or their website to see if they have a list in conjunction with the base and ring manufacturers.

The very first thing you need to do is set the windage and elevation to the middle of the range for each. The next thing to do (after getting the correct bases) is to center the scope on the rifle with the bore. This doesn't mean to use the scope elevation/windage adjustments but to physically center the scope using either the base windage (Leupold) or ring inserts (Burris) plus the inclusion of shims if required. Once the scope is bore sighted correctly, head for the range to do the fine tuning.

I included the following for your reference to shimming:

Bushnell Guide to Shimming Riflescopes

To ensure years of dependable service, we suggest you have your riflescope professionally mounted.
    An off-axis optical alignment between the rifles bore and the riflescope may result in scattered groups and poor optical performance, as well as possible internal damage to your riflescope. Shimming may be required to properly align your riflescope to the bore of the rifle. This alignment of the riflescope mount to the bore will reserve the riflescope's internal adjustment for small, fine corrections needed to sight-in. A shim table is included to assist your gunsmith in the proper mounting of your riflescope to the suggested course alignment.

LIT #: 98-0243/04-03

* ELEVATION and WINDAGE adjustment travel should be reserved for fine correction. While normally not
    required, major alignments should be made by shimming the mounts and/or bases. Over-adjustment of Elevation and Windage controls may lead to internal damage of your riflescope.

shimmingriflescopesbushsl0.png

SHIMMING FOR MAJOR ELEVATION ADJUSTMENTS:

Shim Front Base For Additional Down Movement
    Shim Rear Base For Additional Up Movement
    For Major Windage Adjustments We Suggest Using A Windage Adjustable Mount
    For Best Results Use The Lowest Profile Mounts Possible

SHIM TABLE

DISTANCE (Yards) _ SHIM THICKNESS (Inches) _ POINT OF IMPACT (Inches)

Formulas derived from a 3.25" ring spacing. These values may vary.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank ya, some very helpful information there.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Seem to remember some rings have different heights. Think I have a set now. Have to mike them to see. Could yours be that way.
  • Options
    coachmbcoachmb Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris Signature Rings with a off set kit will take care of your problem.