In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Barrel?

southiasouthia Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an MK 77 ruger stainless with a bulge in the barrel about 2" from the muzzle. I sent it in to Ruger they wanted $444. to repair. That is more than I gave for the rifle brand new. Any suggestions. I was told to have it cut off and recrowned, or maybe an after market barrel. Any help or suggestions greatly welcomed.

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by southia
    I sent it in to Ruger they wanted $444. to repair.

They're sure proud of that. I've gotten octagon barrels from Al Story for less than that, and a one-off half round half octagon for maybe thirty or forty dollars more.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try the cut and recrowned first. If it didn't shoot groups well then I would replace the barrel, and it sure would not be from Ruger. I would get it done by Hart, or Shilin.

Best
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Leave it as it is and just back bore it to the bulge..
  • OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Mel Doyle at 208-686-1006. He's a top gunsmith who does this work all the time. I think he charges about $30. for a cut and crown.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100% with tsr1965.

No brainer. . .so long as your current barrel is over 18.5" long, have it cut and recrowned. That's probably the simplest solution, and amongst the cheapest.

While you're doing this, you might even consider having the barrel further shortened to make a handier carbine. I believe 16" is the legal minimum barrel length.

For what its worth, Ruger now sells variants of this gun with 16.5" bbls.

Only *AFTER* doing that, if the groups were unsatisfactory, would I consider having it re-barreled. So long as the crowning was done correctly, I'd bet you wouldn't notice any practical difference in accuracy. (In fact, its possible you could see a MINOR improvement, as shorter barrels are proportionately stiffer).

Back-boring out the bad part of the barrel could certainly work, but then you're still let with a damaged-looking gun with a bulged barrel (ie potentially hurting resale value), and 2+ inches of extra barrel length/weight on your gun that add nothing to its function.

IMO, its worth the extra few bucks for a professional recrown.