In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester model 59 pigeon grade question

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
i bought a m-59 in conn years ago, where the owner claimed it to be a pigeon grade. nowhere on the gun is there a pigeon nor is it marked pigeon on the bottom. i am told that they didnt mark pigeon on pigeon grade 59's, rather, they were just fitted with aaa select high grade wood and a winchester pad. it has such. any ideas?
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski: My book shows the Md 59 Pigeon as only being offered in 62 and 63, the bolt and carrier should be jeweled, (engine turned). As with all Winchester Pigeons, the interals are all honed. They stamped all other Pigeons, Md 12, 42, 50, 50 Featherweight, and 21, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't do it to the 59. My book shows a couple of Pigeon 59s, neither have a Pad. It did say the Pigeon guns were special order, they didn't make them up in advance. Which seems right, since stock length, engraving, (was an extra) recoil pad or butt plate. You could get standard Pigeon wood checkering or "A" or "B" carved wood, (simalar to the Md 12). Hope this helps you. Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bolt and carrier are turned. all hand honed too. does your pic show the words pigeon? does the stock have a pg cap?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob: My book only shows the side view. Yes the standard Pigeon wood, (like the Md 50) with a capped pistol grip. Forearm has the 3 diamonds on the bottom as well as the side pannels. If it's been honed at the factory, they did that before anodisizing the receiver. If the honing took place after it left the factory the anodize would have veen removed. Dave
  • Options
    jbcjbc Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a M 59 and I'm curious to know exactly how to tell if it's pigeon grade. There is a stamp of some kind on the botton just in front of where the shells are loaded. It's a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser and it's a circle with a P above a W inside it. That may just be a generic Winchester stamp but just curious.

Not being a gun expert, I didn't follow the other things to look for that were mentioned in the last post. If there is a way to make that something a novice could follow, I'd really appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the word 'pigeon' would be right under the serial number.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jbc
    I have a M 59 and I'm curious to know exactly how to tell if it's pigeon grade. There is a stamp of some kind on the botton just in front of where the shells are loaded. It's a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser and it's a circle with a P above a W inside it. That may just be a generic Winchester stamp but just curious.

Not being a gun expert, I didn't follow the other things to look for that were mentioned in the last post. If there is a way to make that something a novice could follow, I'd really appreciate the help.

The "WP" in the circle was Winchester's proof mark. This meant that the gun was factory tested with hot loads and withstood the high pressures of firing these "proof" loads thus qualifing the firearm as safe to leave the factory.