In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Specialty Arms AR10 markings

HHollowHHollow Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Question: Are these lower receiver markings factory, or custom?

I have an interesting Specialty Arms AR10 lower receiver that might be similar to one discussed earlier on this forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58103

No decent photo of bigdaddyjunior's Specialty Arms receiver was shown, but I have a feeling it may be similar to one I bought earlier this year. I has assumed the engravings were some one-off attempt to mimic the Dutch receiver. See my photos below. Does anybody know anything?

19ov2g.jpg
2naky6q.jpg

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The stamping on teh magazine well appears to be an attempt to copy the trademarked logo of Artillerie-Inichtingen, who obtained the AR-10 production rights from Fairchild (who owned Armalite at the time). Actual receiver markings on a genuine AR10 produced by AI would be:

Patents Pending

ArmaLite

AR10

mfd by (AI logo) Nederland

(serial number) 000000

Interestingly enough my records show that Specialty Arms AR-10 receivers started with serial number S80000...Which just happens to be your serial number!
  • HHollowHHollow Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I digitally butchered the serial number. I have S800X0.

So I take it bigdaddyjunior's has got some different but unique markings?
  • amguncollectoramguncollector Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an AR-10 that is the Sudanese variety. It says Specialty Arms, Springfield Ohio on the receiver but, there is no logo and there is a stop at the six o'clock position of the safety selector. It does not have the AR-10 text on it either.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are most likely receivers made for the original AR10 parts kits that were imported during the late 70's early 80's. They were designed to accept those parts. None of the current parts will fit this receiver.
    Original parts for these receivers are pretty much no existent. Note the lack of a charging handle and the different safety and bolt release.

I can't think of a single part that will interchange between the early Armalite and the one as manufactured today. Not even the magazines. Well as of this past year Armalite began to manufacture a receiver that will accept the Stoner SR25 DPMS and other similar platforms magazines.

Pictured below is a Central Kentucky Arms AR10 which was another player at that time.

[img][/img]MVC-AR10SLFTSDEF.jpg

[img][/img]MVC-AR10WHLESDELEFTF.jpg

For comparison top Original AR10 bolt carrier, middle current AR10 bolt carrier, bottom current AR15 bolt carrier.

[img][/img]MVC-ARBOLT1.jpg
  • HHollowHHollow Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amguncollector
    I have an AR-10 that is the Sudanese variety. It says
    Specialty Arms, Springfield Ohio on the receiver but, there
    is no logo and there is a stop at the six o'clock position
    of the safety selector. It does not have the AR-10 text on
    it either.

The Specialty Arms lower seems to be the most prefered,
    along with the Telko. I have each and they appear to be
    made identically. Unfortunately, these lowers are weak at
    two points. You should never ever let the bolt stop do its
    thing and stop the bolt because it put much stress on a
    thin portion of the lower. Second, handle the stock
    carefully because the neck that connects the buffer
    tower to the lower is weak and will snap.

So always load a dummy round in the bottom of your magazine.
    If the dear or elk (or enemy) is wounded do not even think
    about using the buttstock as a club because its going to break
    the lower.

On the bright side the aluminum used to make SA and Telko lowers
    is easily welded. Below is a Telko was broken at the neck and
    sitting in a smith's junk box.
    idrn9h.jpg
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought I would prefer to have an aluminum lower receiver rather than the Central Kentucky Arms steel lower receiver on my Sudanese AR-10, but after learning about how weak the aluminum receivers are at the "neck," I believe I have the better lower receiver.

Mr. Christian will probably know, but I do not recall hearing of the "broken neck" problem on original AR-10 A-I rifles. I presume that was because the lowers were forged rather than being machined from bar stock or the like as was apparently the case with the clone aluminum receivers. What say you, Mr. Christian?