In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BERT H. family heirloom please help Pic Heavy

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
My father is passing this family heirloom down to me and I need some help. This is what I know. It has been in our family a long time. It is a Winchester 38-40. Could you help me with any info on the gun and value. It will never, ever be sold, but passed down to my son. If he decides he does not want it, It will go to Winchester. I pray to god this is enough pictures. If you need the full serial number, email me, as I won't give it out over the internet. Thank you sir.Oakie. I also wanted to add that this gun has never been touched as far as reblueing or anything. It is all original. Gotta love the brass too. Wood is all original and has some scratches and one little dent. No cracks or splitting. The end near the butt stock is the only real wear i see. Dad is giving it to me this year.

Gw.jpg
gw5.jpg
gw4.jpg
gw3.jpg
gw2.jpg
gw1.jpg
gw7.jpg
gw8.jpg
gw9.jpg
gw10.jpg
gw11.jpg
gw12.jpg
gw13.jpg
gw14.jpg
gw16.jpg
gw17.jpg
gw18.jpg
gw19.jpg
gw20.jpg
gw21.jpg
gw22.jpg
gw23.jpg
gw24.jpg
gw25.jpg
gw26.jpg
gw27.jpg
gw28.jpg
gw30.jpg
gw31.jpg
gw32.jpg
gw33.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    That is a really nice 1873.

I'll save my input for after Bert comments. I think you will be pleased to hear what he says![:)]
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    the bore shines??? looks like an end of production rifle
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful 1873, probably about 1881 production, second model range, with a set trigger and appears to be original cleaning rods. Here are some questions that will help us. Does it have the standard 24" barrel, measured from the muzzle to the back end of the chamber? Is the bore as nice as the outside?

It would appear to have a little surface crud that could be and probably should be cleaned off to preserve its condition.

Edit: I did not mean to in any way disparage this great gun. I was typing too fast, on my phone, late at night. Let me clarify my comment above. That light surface crud as I called it should be cleaned off because over time it will attract moisture and result in pitting. If you are not comfortable doing it, then it should be done by a professional. You are correct to be concerned, guns like this often get over cleaned and forever damaged. But failing to clean off that light surface stuff will also damage the finish over time.

I love the photos, that early short rear sight, the exposed loading gate screw on the right side, exposed trigger pin, all perfectly correct for a 729XX serial numbered '73. Great gun, but I said that already. Sounds like Bert is gong to help you out with getting some documentation on the gun from Cody.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie,

Please send me a PM with the complete serial number. I will run it through Cody to get all of the pertinent information.

Also, I would like to see the top of the mortise cover rail.

Your Model 1873 is potentially worth a LOT of $$$$$. If you son does not understand or appreciate the history of this old Winchester, you would be much better off selling it. I can assist you in maximizing your best possible price on it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Oakie,

Please send me a PM with the complete serial number. I will run it through Cody to get all of the pertinent information.

Also, I would like to see the top of the mortise cover rail.

Your Model 1873 is potentially worth a LOT of $$$$$. If you son does not understand or appreciate the history of this old Winchester, you would be much better off selling it. I can assist you in maximizing your best possible price on it.

The GunBroker email system will not let me send info. It always says fatal error. Let me see if I can find another way to get it to you. This has not worked for me in about a year. [:(!] It's aol.Not GB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert, just send me an email and i will see if i can respond that way. If not I will post the serial number and you can delete it for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,I added the last four pictures you requested. My dad sent them to me.[:)]Oakie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldWinchesterfan
    Beautiful 1873, probably about 1881 production, second model range, with a set trigger and appears to be original cleaning rods. Here are some questions that will help us. Does it have the standard 24" barrel, measured from the muzzle to the back end of the chamber? Is the bore as nice as the outside?

It would appear to have a little surface crud that could be and probably should be cleaned off to preserve its condition.

Bore is excellent condition.Was already inspected. leaning rods are original to the gun as far as we know. Didn't even know they were there. I will have to find out about the length. We are in no way, shape or form going to touch this rifle.We just put a very, very lite coating of oil on it and only touch it with a rag or gloves at this point as to not leave any oil from out hands on it. The fine crud will come off, but were afraid to touch it for obvious reasons. It is the original blueing. Gun has been in a safe for over 70 years and not fired or will it. We have ammo, but will NOT fire it. It will be passed down with the gun.

I would love to get some documentation from Winchester for it, on their letter head, if possible..
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can contact me at Win1885@msn.com
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I would love to get some documentation from Winchester for it, on their letter head, if possible..

Oakie, Winchester no longer exists except as a Trademark now owned by FN. A letter would have to come from the Cody Museum

http://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Bert can tell you as much, but for an "official letter," Cody is the only option.