In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

jc higgins model 20 questions

mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance at a model 20 12 ga locally for 125 that im looking to cut down to riot shotgun length but before i look at it, whats the good the bad and the ugly on these guns, any major design flaws or common problems i should look for, any modern loads besides steel obviously to stay away from?

Comments

• Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are good quality High Standard guns. It was probably cut down because of the strange poly-choke they came with.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several variations of that old model 20. Mine has a vent rib on it. It would be hard to saw that barrel off without having the rib flapping around in the breeze. The cross button safety is in the front of the trigger guard and I was brought up with an Ithaca 37 with the safety in the rear of the guard so I fumble when I try to find that front safety. If you're used to Winchester guns, you're good. As has been said, those 20's are good solid old guns, they're not take-downs so don't loosen up. One of the selling points was smooth, effortless action. If you point the gun straight up and push the action release, the action opens by itself.

They'd work fine with most any loads (probably even steel once you cut off the choke) but they're 2 3/4" chambers, so no 3" shells.

BTW: After looking at your "handle", why don't you just get a riot barrel for your Mossberg 500? I'm sure there are some on the auction side.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have clipped several shotguns back to 20". The ones I did for myself I installed screw in choke tubes. Best of all worlds IMHO. Cylinder bore isn't all that useful.

When cutting off a vent rib barrel it looks nicer to leave the barrel a little proud of the post. The choke tube reamer die will square the end of the barrel nicely.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check if it's the early H-S with the connecting rod between the pump handle and the bolt. Only on one side.

Years ago I use to work with a guy, that had a H-S shotgun. He had some sort of binding issues, because of this. I would imagine for quick repeat shots. Torquing the forend one way or the other. Might have been the cause of his problems?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said, those were High Standard Flite Kings. Good basic shotgun. I paid a bit less for one in very good shape, and got its baby brother in 20 g. Nothing fancy, but decent wood, decent metal, decent design. Mine have never been anything but a smooth action.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had bought one at a garage sale for $70. There is a single rod from the pump handle that moves the bolt, the end of the rod was broken off at the bolt because the internals were never cleaned and there was binding on the bolt. A $70 part from Numrich fixed it. Also the shell holder was bent...the one that holds shells in the magazine tube would not cycle the shells out of the magazine correctly until I got it perfectly tweaked. Knocking the two pins out of the receiver, removing the trigger assembly gave me access to remove the bolt and cleaned everything. Worked flawlessly after that.
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    There are several variations of that old model 20. Mine has a vent rib on it. It would be hard to saw that barrel off without having the rib flapping around in the breeze. The cross button safety is in the front of the trigger guard and I was brought up with an Ithaca 37 with the safety in the rear of the guard so I fumble when I try to find that front safety. If you're used to Winchester guns, you're good. As has been said, those 20's are good solid old guns, they're not take-downs so don't loosen up. One of the selling points was smooth, effortless action. If you point the gun straight up and push the action release, the action opens by itself.

They'd work fine with most any loads (probably even steel once you cut off the choke) but they're 2 3/4" chambers, so no 3" shells.

BTW: After looking at your "handle", why don't you just get a riot barrel for your Mossberg 500? I'm sure there are some on the auction side.
    thats kinda the conclusion im.coming to, this is probably more trouble then its worth to do this project
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those which set me back $175 because it was in excellent shape. It has a slick action and has never had a problem. If you get it I think you will like it, if you like Mossberg 500s. I think it compares quite favorably with the 500.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I think it's a Noble 60, rather than a High Standard. Still a good shotgun.