In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scoped 1894 winchester

94buff94buff Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hi, is there any chance the 1894 polishing room records have any serial number's for the FOUR rifles listed as factory scoped, I may or may not have come across one and I'm hoping for some help.....this gun was tapped differently than I've ever seen. ( one extra screw front left side middle receiver) and a real small dovetail added behind the front site it is also a fairly early gun?!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    BERT H among others should be able to help you
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert H, will need the full serial number, to do a search for it. You should send him a note, including that to his e-mail, by clicking on his name in another topic, where he has posted.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok guys, thanks I will do that, the link doesn't open anything.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    If there are (4) listed as factory scoped in the factory ledger, it stands to reason that requesting a letter would confirm the factory scope.

The polishing records contain no final configuration information.

Is the scope contemporary to a "fairly early gun"?? Not a lot of scopes around in that early era...
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the factory warehouse ledger records that contain the information of the (4) Model 1894 rifles that were equipped with a telescope, and No, I do not know what the serial numebrs of those (4) rifles were.

That stated, based on your description of how the scope was attached, I seriously doubt that the rifle you have found is one of them that was factory scoped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The little bit of research I have done leads me to a malcolm scope which did have the small dovetail in the front and mounted on the left side or top of the gun but just a theory with no way to confirm....thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen quite a large number of Malcolm type rear scope mounts and some of them would mount to the side of the receiver by one screw. Likewise, John W. Sidle made the side mounted rear mounts and I own one of his scopes, a No. 6 w/o the mounts, but Sidle also made a No. 18 that was "larger and of greater range" and of similar design.

The rear mounts for these scopes had a vertical slot in which the telescope ring slides, and it was clamped by a large knurled head. A base piece was screwed to the barrel or fitted to the sight slot, and to this the angle piece is secured by a capstan screw, that allowed for a side adjustment. Reference Nick Stroebel's book, "Old Rifle Scopes."

Further, I inquired to Bert a few years ago about a Scoped Model 1890 Winchester that a fellow had posted a picture of online. I believe this picture is representative of the John W. Sidle scope that I bought, and is quite likely similar to the larger No. 18 as I have just addressed. Here is the link to the rifle in question that I would have just loved to have been able to purchase:

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/winchester-1890-22wrf-w/scope-20417426.html

James
    What's next?