In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is a cape gun?

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
There are many german rifle/shotguns advertised as "cape gun", on this site and others.
A true cape gun (to my understanding) is a rifle BESIDE a shotgun, not over under combination. Term cape , referring to cape africa where this type of utility firearm was
Needed. German built cape guns have the rifle (german caliber)on the right side ,front trigger whereas british cape guns have the rifle (british caliber) on the left, rear trigger. Exceptions do exist . Anyone disagree?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have the "correct" description of a cape gun.
    But many call other types cape guns also.
    Sort of like the ultra * gun nuts that worry about a
    mag being called a clip.[;)]

When you want a sandwich on a long bread roll, do you ask for
    a "sub", "hero", "grinder", or "hoagie" ???????
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but, but, but a mag and a clip are different things...[:0]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    but, but, but a mag and a clip are different things...[:0]

Correct!!! here is the 16" magazine for an Iowa class battleship.
    hoist.jpg
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    You have the "correct" description of a cape gun.
    mag being called a clip.[;)]

When you want a sandwich on a long bread roll, do you ask for
    a "sub", "hero", "grinder", or "hoagie" ???????

+1
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    jaegermister,

Totally agree, with your observations.

It does go to show the differences of manufacturing, in different geographic locations, also. Both the regions you mention, Germany, and the British/UK, are the worlds finest combination, SxS, rifle, and or shotgun builders. As such, each tried to have their own little piece of the pie, by switching sides, and controls, and different styles of checkering, or engraving.

Best

EDIT 1
    quote:Well thanks.....besides I am snowed in and needed a topic

Don't for one minute, think you have the market locked up on being snowed in, and/or very cold...but...you have discovered a good way to pass time, for sure!
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    There are many german rifle/shotguns advertised as "cape gun", on this site and others.
    A true cape gun (to my understanding) is a rifle BESIDE a shotgun, not over under combination. Term cape , referring to cape africa where this type of utility firearm was
    Needed. German built cape guns have the rifle (german caliber)on the right side ,front trigger whereas british cape guns have the rifle (british caliber) on the left, rear trigger. Exceptions do exist . Anyone disagree?

I think you're absolutely right about the specific defintion (ie a "cape gun" is a side-by-side with one rifle and one shotgun barrel).

That said, I wouldn't really fault someone for calling an over-under version of the same thing a "cape gun". . .even if that isn't "technically" correct.

quote:You have the "correct" description of a cape gun.
    mag being called a clip.I don't think its being 'ultra-*' to use the correct term when you are describing DIFFERENT THINGS.

A magazine is simply a different thing than a clip, and the terms are NOT interchangeable. EG, if you had an SKS rifle with a CLIP, but not a MAGAZINE, you couldn't fire the gun! (Well, not more than one shot at a time, anyway).

That particular distinction also matters for legal reasons. For example, in some jurisdictions a MAGAZINE that can hold 11 rounds is illegal to possess, but a CLIP than can hold 11 rounds is NOT. You can legally walk around with 10 round pre-loaded CLIPS in NY, but not MAGAZINES.

quote:When you want a sandwich on a long bread roll, do you ask for a "sub", "hero", "grinder", or "hoagie" ???????In this case, those terms are mostly synonymous; the term you'd want to use is mostly a function of WHERE you are.

EG speaking of places I've spent a lot of time in (and also eaten a lot of long sandwiches in!) in New England, they're called "grinders" (though they're also called "subs"). In North Jersey and parts of NY often "heroes" (but again "subs" too). Hoagies are mostly from Philadelphia (also South Jersey), and particularly in Philly they're usually made from thinly cut grilled steak (though other meats can be used).

I've never actually eaten one but in South Boston you can buy a "Spuckie" which is basically the same thing. "Wedges" are in parts of New York and CT, and again the same thing. "Po-boy" is the same thing again, in New Orleans and the South, but those usually have some kind of seafood in them, like fried oysters.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well thanks.....besides I am snowed in and needed a topic,
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, correct terminology is very important.

A rifle beside a shotgun is called a Buchsflinte.

And it's not a 16" magazine on a battleship. It's a Projectile Ring or Projectile Flat.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    Yes, correct terminology is very important.

A rifle beside a shotgun is called a Buchsflinte.

And it's not a 16" magazine on a battleship. It's a Projectile Ring or Projectile Flat.

Durn. That means the Hood went down when the after projectile cigaretteowie exploded. [:p]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Well I have a number of shotgun over rifle Fire-ARMS I guess they are

c
    A
    P
    E
    Gun [:I][:I][;)][;)][}:)][}:)]

[img][/img]2202014_zps4fa92c8f.jpg