In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338 Win Mag case trimming problem

lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Need some reloading help Please. Recently acquired some RP .338 Win Mag once fired brass and decided to try to make up some plinking rounds.
Cleaned and deprimed the brass and ran it through a brand new Hornady sizing die. Figured I would check case length and tried to use a brand new Lee .338 Win Mag case length trimmer. However, the case length rod is very, very tight; so tight I can't get it in nor get it our after half way without a pair of vice grips. Tried opening the case mouth up using a 338 bullet and the bullet is stuck upside down now.
Broke a Quinetic bullet puller trying to remove the bullet kinetically.

What did I do wrong ?

If the brass had been necked down wouldn't the resizing die decapping pin have brought it back out to spec ? Is the Lee case length gage out of spec (measures about .335")?

Should I have used the case length gage before resizing? If so, does one have to deprime using a hand held primer remover first?

Inquiring minds want to know !

Thanks in advance

Dan R

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Well, the sized case neck is probably about .335" - .336" or so, same as the case length gage rod.

I'd polish the rod down another .002" to .003".

You can remove that stuck bullet using your press and a pair of pliers.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Pop the primer, then trim and resize.
    That's the way I do 223 and 308 with the Lee trimmer [;)]
    I found the same problem with the Lee.
    have a Lyman now [;)]
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appreciate the help, guys. Polish the rod, DUH, why didn't I think of that?

Actually, wound up chucking the case length stem in a drill press and used a flat file, then 200 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit and rouge to polish it up. Just the sandpaper alone wasn't taking it down very well.

Works well now, the Lee case length gage is a bit long, Lymans says to trim to length to 2.490" while it trims to 2.495" but I'm not taking any off the end !

Now if only someone could help me find the collet parts of the Kinetic bullet puller that flew apart and went far, far away somewhere in the garage !

Dan R
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of times I make new pilots for my Forster case trimmer so I can trim after sizing the case. Having one of the new style trimmers that does it all in one pass would nice if you do a lot of cases.

The outside champhering tools with a center stud as much easier on your case holding hands.

Drill press and a file works. I made a lot of screw head modifications with a file and an egg beater drill.
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use your press shell holder in the puller. I have done it many times.