In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1897 with Damascus barrel

vrossvross Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find out more information on a Winchester Model 1897. It is a 12 guage (as denoted by a '12' and 'Winchester Model 1897 stamped on it). Serial number 199xxx. Pump action, 30" damascus barrel. External Hammer and all original parts. I can't quite make out the other writing: "winchester firearm July 21 96..."
I believe it is aged at prior to 1899, but am not clear about it's true age or value. An insight would be appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOM is 1902, according to Blue Book.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello vross: Well damascus barrels were an option that could be ordered up until 1914 if I recall correctly.

I can tell you S/N 139059 shipped June 15th 1901 and S/N 226873 Shipped Dec. 1st. 1903. So with with approx. 86,000 made in that time frame, I agree it looks like it was most likely made early 1903.

The link you posted shows an 1897 Trench gun, your gun doesn't look like that. With a 30in. barrel you either have a standard field grade or possibly a Trap gun. Trap guns have checkered stocks, and the words "TRAP GUN" engraved on the breech bolt.

Not many damscus barreled 1897s around. If your gun has the patent dates down the barrel, I doubt that your barrel is damascus. Running a roll die down a damascus barrel to stamp the patent dates would fracture the layers. Every one I've seen, (3) have no patent dates on them.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vross
    I am trying to find out more information on a Winchester Model 1897. It is a 12 guage (as denoted by a '12' and 'Winchester Model 1897 stamped on it). Serial number 199xxx. Pump action, 30" damascus barrel. External Hammer and all original parts. I can't quite make out the other writing: "winchester firearm July 21 96..."
    I believe it is aged at prior to 1899, but am not clear about it's true age or value. An insight would be appreciated...

I highly recommend contacting the Cody Firearms Museum (CFM) and purchasing a factory letter for it. My bet on the DOM is late 1902.

The damascus barrel is worth a premium to collectors (due to the rarity), but it is a negative to the shooters. It was designed to shoot smokless powder shells of that era (which created chamber pressures nearly identical to black powder). It should not be fired with modern 2-3/4" shotshells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Dave...thankyou for this info. Yes I am quite sure it would be the field gun. No checkered stock.It is most defitely a Damacus Barrel...you can see the rolled steel right down the barrel. This rolled stock has made it very difficult to see the manufacture info on the top of the barrel. What should I do to establish value and who should I contact for a potential buyer?...would like find a buyer who is willing to pay what it is worth...This was my grandfathers gun...found it in his attic when we cleaned out their home recently. It needs a little TLC. RE-blued ad some work on the stock and could be real nice. Action works fine as does te triggering and firing mechanisim. Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vross
    Hi Dave...thankyou for this info. Yes I am quite sure it would be the field gun. No checkered stock.It is most defitely a Damacus Barrel...you can see the rolled steel right down the barrel. This rolled stock has made it very difficult to see the manufacture info on the top of the barrel. What should I do to establish value and who should I contact for a potential buyer?...would like find a buyer who is willing to pay what it is worth...This was my grandfathers gun...found it in his attic when we cleaned out their home recently. It needs a little TLC. RE-blued ad some work on the stock and could be real nice. Action works fine as does te triggering and firing mechanisim. Thank you

If you reblue/refinish it, kiss away at least 50% of its current value[:(][V][xx(].

The TLC should include nothing more than a very careful cleaning.

Post several clear and close-up pictures of it (or send them to me, and I can post them... Win1885@msn.com). With the pictures, I can give you a reasonably close estimate of the value. As for selling it, list it here on Gunbroker.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reblue and sand down the stock- and you will have a $100 shotgun. DON'T DO IT !!!!
  • Options
    harleyriderharleyrider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you find a cowboy shooter, He will pay more for the "97" I bought one for $300.00 and it wasn't that nice of gun, if its all stock and not reblued and such you can get more. us cowboy shooters will pay good bucks for a good gun. 97's are getting harder to find I have a friend with two and he won't parts with one. Stupid me sold mine.
    Tom
    Ride like you stole
  • Options
    spacecowboy44spacecowboy44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had 3 97s with Damascus barrel. I shoot Winchester AA low noise low recoil shells. If you put shotgun up for sale on GunBroker let me Know

Dennis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spacecowboy44
    I have had 3 97s with Damascus barrel. I shoot Winchester AA low noise low recoil shells. If you put shotgun up for sale on GunBroker let me Know

Dennis

Responding to a post that is 8-years old is most often a total waste of time