In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope mounting question

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hello folks. I want to mount a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12X44 scope on a Remington 700. I want to retain the open sights, but with the length and tube-width of the scope, I am not sure what base/ring combo will work. I need some VERY HIGH rings. What base will I need? I may need a variety of grooves to place the rings propertly, rather than the limited number offered by two-piece bases.

Just curious if ya'll have any ideas.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I came close to selling my favorite Win. Model 70 this weekend due to the point of impact changing every shot during a benchrest session. I had been hunting prior to this weekend and was glad I never took a shot.
    Later, I found 2 screws loose - one on each ring.

Question: Should I use something like Threadlock on the ring screws?
    I have Redfield rings and bases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys since I have a couple of optic questions, this is my first rifle with a traditional scope. In regards to the base and rings, I'm looking at the rifle right now, and I see 2 screws where the mount goes, since this is my first rifle is it fairly easy to install the base/rings yourself, or does a gun smith need to do it "properly". I just don't want to run the risk of messing up my rifle, but if it's a straight forward job of just screwing it into place I'm sure I can do it, but I just wanted to check before I did anything. Do the screws need to be torqued down? Or do you just get it as snug as you can? I would really really appreciate any info you guys can pass my way!
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Threadlock aka loctite is ok if you are leaving the scope on that rifle for long periods, just make sure you don't use the permanet type. Socket head screws are strong enough to work past it, but the old flat screwdriver style heads can strip out. Point of impact jumping around however doesn't sound like screws to me. They would have to be loose to the point where the scope would just about rattle in the rings. When ever I've had point of impact jumping around it always turned out that the scope had failed internally. Put it all back together good and tight and go back to the range. I hope that your scope is of a quality that the manufacture will replace or fix it. Some fairly inexpensive scopes, like Simmons, have a ok replacement policy. Good luck.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went ahead and changed the scope. I removed a 15 year old Redfield. It is out of warranty as the company was reformed.
    I will try "lite" Locktite.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Talk to Hangfire, He likes winchester's and I am sure he has had to solve a LOT of problems.[:D]
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    Rather than go through a scenario of removing unwanted screws i use my wifes finger nail polish ( it has a plasic base),,,then after a mo/yr you are absolutely, positively sure of your position i used a drop of loctite removable threadlock 242..... probably better stuff out there now[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will give it a go.

Thank's all.