In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best .357 Concealed

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
What is the best .357 Magnum concealed-carry revolver?

"...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.

Comments

• Options
    AllenoAlleno Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say Ruger GP100 in 3 inch barrel. These have the fixed sights and smaller grips. My 2 cents, I have one and I really like it. Tough and accurate.

Alleno
  • Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO

S&W 340

YMMV
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both of the above are good suggestions. Ruger sits to the heavy end and Smith to the lighter. Living in the middle would be the Smith Model 60.

Taurus Model 605SS is another that I feel is worth looking into.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Taurus Titanium 2-1/2" ported barrel , 7 shots , , with the ported barrel and their ribbed grips its very easy on the hand
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the light .357s. Myself and a buddy of mine have had S&W 396 Titaniums (44 Spcl, 5 shot, L-frame) for some time. These kick hard with Car-bon rounds. Can put 10 rounds out in practice before I take an hour break and shoot something else!

The same buddy bought a S&W titanium model in .357 (don't know the model number, 5 shot, snub-nose). I have not shot the .357 but he says he shot one .357 round through it and now uses 38 Spcl +P exclusively.

The Taurus grip design goes a long way in making these super light-weights easy to handle. We have reached the zenith of light-weight until better grips, barrel porting, powders, are developed. The light-weight guns are BRUTAL to the hand if you practice regularly...which you MUST do.

Personally, I wouldn't go the light-weight route if you are recoil sensitive (don't want to be visiting the wrist doctor) and are also devoted to extended practice sessions.

I LOVE my 396. It is manageable. Try a light-weight out, if at all possible, before purchase. Or stick to the S&W 60 model that has more weight. The mass of the steel revolvers (10-12 oz more?) goes a tremendous way in taming recoil.

Remember, there is no substitute for practicing with THE gun and THE ammo you will carry. An identical-frame revolver that is steel is no substitute in practice sessions if you'll be carrying a Titanium light-weight.

"They're in front of us, they're behind us, they're to our left and to our right...they can't get away now."

Chesty Puller, Chosin Reservoir, Korea

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    stuartstuart Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hands down S&W 340PD....WARNING !!!!!...not a plinker!...no girlymen!
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W 640

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mostly carry my Pro-CDP in .45 and prefer it. However, on occasion depneding on weather and dress, I carry a Ruger SP-101 in .357 and like it. Mine is SA / DA, If my wife ends up getting her permit to carry we will be getting a DAO version and feed it 38 special +p's.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    smith 640

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gskyhawk
    Taurus Titanium 2-1/2" ported barrel , 7 shots , , with the ported barrel and their ribbed grips its very easy on the hand

I second that. Very light. Very Concealable. 7-shots. And INCREDIBLY managable recoil! and, it won't break the bank.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stuart
    hands down S&W 340PD....WARNING !!!!!...not a plinker!...no girlymen!

This man tells the truth. If you are a girly man or a woman, you would want to fire only the .38 specials.

I love mine!

SW%20340PD%20Box%20and%20DocsSM.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    nwsportinggoodsnwsportinggoods Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W 500 4" Bbl oh you said 357....Go with the Ruger...