In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removing reciever block in Colt AR lower?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a complete colt lower and a complete dpms upper, and they fit together just perfect other than one little problem. The reciever block in the Colt lower prevent the bolt from moving back. Its not a machinegun bolt, but has does make the complete circle. So I need to remove the block. I notice it has a small hole with I'm assuming a pin in it, but not for sure.

Anyone ever done this before? Whats the best way to remove it?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are two or maybe three different Colt AR sear block installations, differing in the pin placement. On any given setup, at least some of the pins are "blind" and cannot be simply driven out. I have seen pictures of a guy cutting one out with a Dremel and a steady hand, but I had mine cut out on a milling machine by a gunsmith to make room for a JARD trigger. It had three blind pins holding the block in. Look about halfway down the page at
    http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/products.asp
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    You know you can buy a stripped DPMS lower for about $100 (I bought another one yesterday) and then put your parts into it. I know you would have the extra Colt lower but I bet you could sell it for more then the cost of the DPMS and you wouldnt have to mess with it. If you do go this route make sure the pin holes are the same size as some of the Colts were larger.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Hawk Carse, I didn't realize they had changed the way they put in the blocks.

This one has a hole visible thru the top. At first I had assumed that maybe it was an allen screw or something, but I think its a pin.

I have tried to wedge a scredriver under it, but doesn't seem to wanna come up, its really in there. I'm thinking I may have to have it machined out.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will need to be milled out.
    Do you have a friend with a mill or milling machine.

CP