In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Problem with my Remington Model 48 Sportsman.

wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Model 48 Sportsman that I just got ,and I have fired 25 rounds of #8 shot out of it yesterday and half the time it would reload and the other half of the time I had to manualy load it.
Well today I fired 3 rounds of #6 out of it and I had to manualy pull the bolt back each shot. So I put some BreakFree in the action and worked the action and fired 15 rounds of #6 shot, I still had to manualy pull the bolt back every time but this time the bolt was harder to pull back than usual.
Does any one know what is wrong and what to do to make it work properly?
Any help at all would be great. It's a real nice shotgun that I would like to hunt with but if it keeps acting like this I don't know.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take off the forearm and clean the mag tube. Also shoot heaver loads. Great guns. Fun to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to do that right now. How heavy of load do I need to shoot out of it?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1oz to 1 1/8oz.
    2 3/4 dram to 3 1/4 dram.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a sportsman 48 that was my grandfathers, all he shot out of it was light loads with no problem. I took it duck hunting one time, shooting high brass #2 steel and it had a problem feeding. So I took it to my local gun smith to check it out. He replaced the rings (seals) for $25 and its worked great ever since.
    Just wanted to share my experience with my 48 feeding problem with you. So if you still have problems after cleaning the mag tube, She might need a set of seals.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by linthicum
    I have a sportsman 48 that was my grandfathers, all he shot out of it was light loads with no problem. I took it duck hunting one time, shooting high brass #2 steel and it had a problem feeding. So I took it to my local gun smith to check it out. He replaced the rings (seals) for $25 and its worked great ever since.
    Just wanted to share my experience with my 48 feeding problem with you. So if you still have problems after cleaning the mag tube, She might need a set of seals.
    Hope this helps.

You're probably thinking of the friction ring. The 48's are recoil operated and don't have seals like gas operated shotguns.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies fellers. I have cleaned the mag tube ,and I am going to try it out agian tomorrow.
  • Options
    linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jbw1776
    quote:Originally posted by linthicum
    Hope this helps.

You're probably thinking of the friction ring. The 48's are recoil operated and don't have seals like gas operated shotguns.

Ben
    10-4 on the friction rings. I have very limited knowledge of the workings of the 48. I'm just going on what the guy at the counter told me (he is not the gunsmith). For all I know the gunsmith may have just cleaned the mag tube. I was just happy he got it feeding, being that it was my grandfathers.
    Thanks Ben for the clarification
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The 48's are recoil operated and don't have seals like gas operated shotguns.
    And that's what you need to clean and check. There's a tube with the recoil spring inside, located in the butt stock. That's where all the dirt and moisture end up. Take that apart and clean the tube with a bore brush. Check the tube for dings, and the inside for rust along with the spring.
    There's two "links" attached to the rear of the bolt that sit on the spring plunger and slide back into the tube on recoil. Check them for burrs, and the mouth of the tube for burrs too. Here's a schematic of an 11-48, not much diff between the two.
    http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-1148.html
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    please direct all your attention to part 51.
    ole bobski got in a heated discussion about this in some other threads where people tell me 11-48's dont have friction rings. i defend my case with part 51. [;)][:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help guy's.
    I fired 25 shells of #6 shot through it today and it worked every time.
    I didn't have to manualy work the bolt after every shot like last time.
    It's a very fun gun to shoot. Looking forward to use it more often.
    Thanks agian.