In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

failure to eject(single shot)

danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a stuck shell (fired) in my new england firearms .223. I'm sure I can get it out. But it keeps happening. I've tried cleaning the gun, and oiling, and the ejector pops out great, but when I get to the range and start shooting, they get stuck. What is the problem? Bad spring? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you consistantly using the same type ammo? If so, try a few others. Is the spring (ejector) well tensioned? Could be an enlarged chamber/overspec chamber causing the round to expand violently and stick in the chamber? Is there any damage to the claw of the extractor? Or is it perhaps undersized? I had a Levergun once that had that issue out of the box, just in reverse...extractor claw was so ovesize it would not chamber a round...just impinged and jammed the action shut grinding a new extractor groove in the case. Do the rounds (fired) show any aggressive expansion areas? This can be ill cut chamber or a slight head space issue. Does the brass show "roughened area?/ If so, the chamber might be rough and would benefit from USP bore paste on a patch covered bore brush chucked up in a drill...that'll smooth it out without being overly agressive.

Come to think of it, I could come up with MORE questions than this, but you are likely a little overloaded already. There are so many different things that could cause this in an NEF, I suppose you need to just start eliminating a few things at a time until something non gunsmith oriented works, or you run out of ideas. Also, I hear their customer service is very good, so give that a try...they might just surprise you!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the easiest would be to use a micrometer on the case before and after to see how much the case has expanded and where.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I "had" a nef 223 with an additional .243 barrel. Both barrels would stick on occation. I lapped the chambers, used small base and regular dies during reloading, tried loadings from the weakest to the max. tried factory ammo.[:(] and nothing would prevent sticking cases. I called the factory, talked to a customer rep. and was told that that was a problem with the "ejector" and thats why they redesigned it to be an "extractor" on newer guns. Was advised to carry a length of brass cleaning rod to drop down the barrel to clear the stuck case. B T W the factory rep also told me that as far as accuracy was concerned they GURENTEED a 3in groupe at 100yds.[:(]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you are using steel case ammo, try some brass case 223. The steel case expands and does not retract like brass case stuff does. Also the steel case has a lacquer coating that could cause it to stick.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Common problem with NEF. I had more trouble with the 223 than others but also with the 243. The last two I sold went out the door with a 3" long piece of brass rod to drop down the barrel to knock the case out. On one 20 gauge slug gun the only way to get it to work right was to slightly oil the chamber. The 223 I carry in the tractor has not caused a problem and it was only a few numbers away from one that never worked (at least while I was sighting the scope in). They do seem to wear in with use and perform OK.
  • Options
    danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have been using the same 45gr winchester usa ammo for years now, so this is a recent problem. It does shoot great, and its been good for grounhogs. I dont think the ammo is the issue since I've never had a problem with it before.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan

Did you maybe get a piece of grit or something on a case and then put it in the chamber somewhere along the way. I think this is what happen to my NEF in .243. I think I have a scratch or something in the chamber hangs the case. I have lightly lapped the chamber and now I get a smaller percentage of FTE. I also put a BB behind the ejector spring but I have not polished the ejector or housing. Common problem I understand but a lot of work to fix.

Tim
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I had a 22 hornet that would hang, I polished the chamber with my dremel tool that helped a lot.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have no mechanical link in the extractor. It is all spring action. If there was a slight "bump" at the end of the opening stroke to pop the case loose a little all would be good. I agree on the Winchester 45 grain hp. They work well in the NEF.